New Isky lifter problems

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by overkill69, Dec 10, 2005.

1. overkill69

overkill69 Member

We're priming our engine using new Isky redzone .904 lifters in a KB Olds. The lifters oil themselves like crazy but nothing gets to the topend. We're using .050 restrictors in 4 locations per Jim Oddy's instructions. Has anybody else had this problem.Seems like the roller is using all the oil volume.
    Thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

What kind of motor? Hemi or BBC?

Are you using a dry sump, if so are you priming it by just driving the oil pump or are you turning over the motor?

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

BBC big chief,Titan wet sump, priming with a drill motor..a lot! I think we might need the oil groove mod on the lifters.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Before you do anything else you should make sure the plugs are out and have a buddy turn the motor over with a wrench on the crankshaft the same time you are priming the motor. The lifters only allow oil up the pushrods when the lifters are in a certain position in the lifter bore. Most lifters these days have been modified to allow oil to flow to the pushrods so they don't all need grooving like before. I don't know about the Isky lifters.

5. overkill69

overkill69 Member

The engine is still on the stand so we have been turning and priming like crazy. Unfortunately, we are familiar with lifter oiling circuits due to burned pushrods etc. The Iskys are set up like like a standard lifter where the pushrod is not fed directly. Oil has to travel through lifter bore clearance to get to the feed hole that goes to the pushrod. We usually file a .003-.004 flat spot on the lifter body below the feed hole. This provides constant oil flow to the pushrod no matter where the lifter sits in the bore.
    Our last engine was a Rodeck with loose lifter bores. It pumped a lot of oil up top without the lifter mod but the roller did not seem to have as much oil flow as we have now. The Rodeck also ran the pan dry and kicked the rods out.
    This is a 2000hp blown alky aplication so i'm sure you realize the importance of getting enough oil to the heads to keep everything happy,but,not so much that the bottom end starves while the valve covers fill up.
    I know a drysump takes care of all this but i'm convinced a wetsump will work if the oil is properly metered. We are planning on 12qts in the pan with a 3 qt accumulator.

6. Danny Humphreys

lifters

You've answered your own question. File an oil slot or flats like you've done before and should be problem solved.

7. overkill69

overkill69 Member

Thanks for the help..I'll see what Isky says tomorrow and most likely get out the file.