Liberty EXTREME-T Transmission

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Aussiebattlr, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Aussiebattlr

Aussiebattlr Member

Hi guys,

I am after anyone with some first-hand experience with the new EXTREME-T trans. that Liberty is offering for Converter Driven Pro Mods..

We are currently running quarter mile and don't run 1/8th tracks here... What success have you had over quarter mile with the 3spd trans and what are the pros and cons over the B&J Trans when attached to a Quicklock Converter Drive unit...

Kind Regards

2. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I've seen guys using it running 1/8th in Screw blown outlaw PMs. Don't know that I've seen anyone run quarter with one in a while, although some turbo guys were doing it with limited success. Whether that was the transmission's fault or not, I couldn't tell you. Seems to work okay in the 1/8th cars on heavily prepped tracks. Liberty's are great because you can change gear splits independently of each other. The only word of caution I would offer is that the shift is slightly more aggressive because the gear engages with lugs rather than a clutch pack, so your tires will see more of a shock at the shifts. May cause issues if you're hopped up or on a less than favorable track. I still remember a Pro Stock Test session on a fresh track, and you could see every shift point in the tire tracks all the way down, and thats as a 5 speed with fairly close gear splits. I can only imagine what twice the power would do with half the gear split, it may try to do a burnout.

3. Aussiebattlr

Aussiebattlr Member

Thanks Justin.. In Australia we are seeing 200-250 on our "okay" tracks, and 250-350 on our great tracks.. But what is of concern to what you say, is that our series runs on a couple of asphalt tracks that see sub 200 on our track metre.. We do utilize the grid and its shift retards, and pump pressure control which will help, but I fully am with you on your opinion and I will take that into account

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Yeah, you would probably want to open the jet for the pump pressure about the time the shift light comes on, because if you're using RPM based shift sensing, it probably be too late at that point to soften the shift since it's the gear difference that drops the motor that also could cause the spin.

5. sammy christian

Not sure on that particular version, but on everything else it come out of gear if you have to peddle

6. Aussiebattlr

Aussiebattlr Member

Any new info out there anyone would like to offer??

7. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

You may want to get a hold of Steve Summers out of Illinois. I don't have a number but if you contact Liberty, I'm sure they will hook the two of you up.

8. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

i run a manual shifted liberty on a turbo clutch car.we pull timing out at the 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 gear change with the grid works very well no D/S spike now. The air shifted trans will not pop out of gear the manual shifted one can if you don't have a very firm grip on the shifter.The trans itself is bullet proof mine is 10 years old.I never broken anything the only wear part are the lugs on the gears and sliders.

9. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

The liberty is way more aggressive then a lenco or BnJ trans. You will need to open the jet pump when the shift to the next gear exchanges. You running a roots or screw? Because that will also play into consideration. The grid will be your friend or if your running EFI or a profiler unit. The liberty is bullet proof in my book compared to a lenco which you need to keep a constant eye on the clutch packs and making sure your clearances are good in th e clutch packs.