lenco first gear ratio for a bruno

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by H BROWN, Aug 2, 2006.

1. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

Can any one suggest a gear ratio for a bruno with a 2 speed lenco. Appears I have 91 ring gear and 24 on the sun gear for a 1:16 first gear??. Car is 3000# wanna be pro mod with a 33.5 x17 tire, 4:10 gear,blown HEMI tfx, aj headswith 1471 littlefied high helix retro and all the good stuff. No dyno but would hope for a conservative 1400 to 1600 HP range and hopefully capable of 1800 plus if needed. Ordering my coan super mega bolt together converter now and hope my ratio of 1:16 will work to save some cash. Not asking for any ones top secret tune up, just hoping for some guidance if my gear will work for my combo to hopefully save my pocket book. And yes, I do not mind making test passes to learn on my own, just asking for suggestions. thanks howard

2. Witchdoctor

Witchdoctor Member

Hey Howard, 2 speed lenco? Most guys run a 3 speed. I ran a 2800# car with a bruno/lenco 3 speed, 1.98 1st and 4.30 gear. Marty at chance said I needed a 2.08 but I never tried it. I left at idle 1800rpm and always had around a 1.06 60'. the car was very consistent at 7.60's @ 177mph.

1.98 is probally a good place to start as its a fairly common set up.

Jon

3. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

with 2 speed trans , a good first gear ratio for a car like that is in the 1.75 to 1.85 range , presently a run 3 speed with 2.10 , 1.45, 1 , ratios on 2650 lbs car and made 1.04 to 1.05 on good track ,17 X 33 tire , low 7 Sec. doorslammer
    Claude

4. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

I ran a 2.04 low with a 3 sp. lenco and a bruno. that combo worked real good. I would definately suggest a 3 speed for that heavy of a car, otherwise you may as well be running a powerglide. The problem you'll have with a 2 speed is that if you get to low of a first gear then you get a big rpm drop on the gear change and if you get to high of a first gear you lose any gear multiplication on the starting line. If you can swing it go with a 3 speed, if not then shoot for somewhere around a 1.80-1.89 low gear. Good choice on the converter. Jason Coan is a real good guy to work with. Those converters are easy to work on and easy to adjust.

5. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

I counted wrong end of sun gear, need to recount tonight. that explains the 1:16 ratio I came up with:eek: Thanks for all the info. Coan recommend the 1:80 to 2:00 range also. I would love the 3 speed but my double frame rail set up wont allow the 3 speed without heavy mods. car originally had a glide and run 7.30s. next car will be set up with a 3 speed:D thanks for all the suggestions. howard