L-19 Rod Bolts

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Comax Racing, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Can anyone tell me if there is any special procedures involved when handling or installing rods with L-19 bolts in them. I am hearing all kinds of stories about not touching them with you bare fingers because you will cause contamination, not getting ANY moisture on them. ETC. The material is supposed to be more susceptible to contamination (fair enough),but how much is the truth and how much is BS.

Thanks
    Corey

2. Moparious Maximus

In my opinion its BS, if touching a rod bolt made it corrode and break, there would be mayhem in every oil pan at the strip.

Sure, I wouldn't leave them outside in the rain for 3 days or kick them around in the gravel before putting them togeather but I've never heard anyone babying their rod bolts. Just keep them oiled up good.

I run L-19's on my flexplate and in my rods, never had a problem with them.

Just my opinion, if you want the facts call ARP, I've had good luck talking to them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

L-19

To be perfectly honest I didn't want to even call ARP on this or my rod builder (GRP) becasue they might think I was *ucked.
    Figured I would test the water here first.

Corey :)

4. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

If I remember right, L-19 bolts are susceptable to hydrogen embrittlement which can be caused by touching them with bare skin, being in weather or being plated or coated. This came from a metallurgist report.www.mechanicsupport.com/articleHydrogenEmbrittlement.html This link will show that it's not BS.

5. mightymouse

mightymouse Member

when i worked on medlens car in 05. we was breaking side bolts in the mains. come to find out it was becouse we was washing them with solvnt and the moister was the couse..after that they were only break clean and stored in oil when not in use.

6. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Thanks for the information alkydrag and mighty mouse.

From what I have read this is so true of so many super alloys and other exotic materials. The sensitivity to solvents, moisture, temperature and tiny surface scratches is really great on a lot of these materials and lots of times the distributers of the parts made with them know nothing of these problems and how to avoid them.

Richard Gavle

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

L-19

I've been running L-19 bolts for a while now, never had a problem with working on them with my hands, albeit you usally wear gloves when working the bottom end when it's hot. Just don't expose the rods to any unusual amounts of moisture, and lube the rod bolt liberally with normal motor oil on the threads and the back of the head.

In addition to L-19 material, most new blocks have h-11 head studs and main studs. This is quite succeptable to hydrogen imbrittlement as well. In year's past we would take blocks down to the car wash or put in a steam vat, but with the new main studs, that's not recommended.

8. Moparious Maximus

Ok this is the old man talking now. I read the above link and failed to see a mention about touching said bolts with your hand. Hydrogen Embrittlement has a catchy ring to it but lets get real here. No one has mentioned service life, stress cycles, nicking or scratching etc. I think you will find that handleing these bolts and hydrogen embritllement as far apart as politics and the truth. Yes it could happen but highly unlikely. Yes I do know a thing or two about metal. I am sure if you ate a jar of peanut butter a day for 30 years it could cause cancer, at least in Callifornia.

Do what you feel comfortable with but I am not affraid to handle our L19 or grade 8 bolts.

9. clint thompson

???

This is the first I've ever heard of this. Been running GRP's with L-19 bolts for years. I never wear gloves when I handle them and have certainly touched the bolts with my hydrogen contaminated skin many times. Sounds like a bunch of horse s--- to me?!!?!?!:rolleyes:

10. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

This is taken from ARPs website,

L19: This is a premium steel that is processed to deliver superior
    strength and fatigue properties. L19 is a very high strength material
    compared to 8740 and ARP2000 and is capable of delivering
    a clamp load at 260,000 psi. It is primarily used in short track and
    drag racing applications where inertia loads exceed the clamping
    capability of ARP2000. Like most high strength, quench and temper
    steels – L19 requires special care during manufacturing to avoid
    hydrogen embrittlement. This material is easily contaminated and
    subject to stress corrosion. It must be kept well-oiled and not exposed
    to moisture.

So I think I will keep em dry and oiled.

Speaking of doctors and such I spoke to mine today about this bolt handling senario and he said that anyone who has handled L-19 with no ill effects to the bolts should have their hydrogen levels checked right away :eek:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have never lost a rod due to specifically a bolt breaking. I don't believe I have ever known anyone that has lost a rod because a bolt broke. It is always either the whole intact bolt pulling the threads out of the rod, the rod shoulder breaking or the main beam breaking. Like I said never the bolt. I have never handled a rod bolt with any specific care but my wife has never allowed me to wash them in the kitchen sink. :eek:

I do know that if you drop a valve spring then you should never use it again in the motor......now that will probably start a whole new discussion:D

12. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Slow down corn husker, that's for the California joke, nobody says you have to take what you hear as gospel. I've handled L19 bolts with my hands. I just make sure they are dry. Do what you want, I just tried to answer a question. And like Will says, no political issues on this forum. Take it up with your congressman.:cool: