kobelco 1471

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by tda14329, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tda14329

tda14329 New Member

Is there anyway to tell if a Kobelco 1471 is a Hi helix or standard rotor by looking at the outside. I think the Hi helix has 120* twist to the rotors verses 60* for standard. The blower and the hat are bolted on the motor so I can't really see the rotors. And if I could I may not know what I'm looking at. Thanks

2. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

There is no way to tell from the outside , are you buying this blower from someone? If so why can't you look at it?

3. tda14329

tda14329 New Member

This is a complete motor. I can ask him to remove the hat, I don't think that would be a problem. I have been running a NOS motor and I want to switch to supercharged . I'm not sure what I'm looking at when it comes to the twist of the rotors. So far what I have seen (pics only) and all the parts description, it looks good . If I could see a pic of a hi-helix rotor I'd know what it looks like compared to a standard one. Just don't want to buy something and end up with a bunch of stuff I can't use. Kobelco site doesn't give much info. Thanks

4. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Go to RBS Superchargers website and look at the new and used ones they have. Plenty of pictures to look at for both 60 and 120 degree rotors.

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com

5. andy wilfong

Check your PM's

6. tda14329

tda14329 New Member

kobelco

Nothing in the pm box
    I've been to RBS site didn't see much, also DMPE site it had some pic's of rotors but they all are the same thing. No help their. Google it, saw some stuff, On kobelco site there is a number for hi-helix and one for a standard rotor is that on the outside of the case somewhere ( KS14S1-11 standard) ( KS14H3-11 hi-helix) maybe Thanks

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

bid difference between a 60 and 120 you will see a defference.Call littlefields on monday and talk to Andy..Dave

8. Frank Kramer

Frank Kramer New Member

Take the blower of and look at the bottom opening.

Hi Helix has a delta opening and the standard helix is full open.

Frank

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you are buying a used Kobelco then you need to know what rotors are in it such as K-8, K-9 or K-11. There was a problem with some of the K-8s and they cracked and came apart and totally destroyed the blower case.

10. monza maniac

monza maniac New Member

Mike, I have a used K8. Is there any way to confirm "good" or "bad" rotors?

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This is what I got from Darren Mayer at DMPE some time ago.

The rotors failures are not specific to the profile name (K8. K9, or K11) but more K-8s and K-9s seem to have the problem. The rotor failure is specific to the lightening hole in the rotor. If the rotor has a 1.25" lightening hole in the center of the lobe (not the bored area for fixturing but plugs go in this bore)) the probability is greater it will fail. If the lightening hole is 1.125” it will not fail under normal conditions. (also notice the placement of the small hole is not on the lobe center) How and why the hole became so big on a small number of rotor sets is a bit like Watergate. However a small number of K8, and K9 made it through this way. The chances are greater yours are not of this small batch but for your piece of mind it is easy to inspect. You will find the beginning crack will propagate down the Teflon dove tail and when it gets long enough without detection it becomes very ugly. You will not see the crack with the Teflon installed. It will run down the 90 degree corner of the dove tail. It sometimes is difficult to see.

12. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

also there were the kobelco that you can not get rotors for anymore..Dave

13. andy wilfong

The rotors you can't get anymore are both the k8s and k9s, reason is there is no tooling for these anymore.

14. BLOWN INCOME

Frank kramer in above quote is wrong ! In some cases there are pie openings on straight rotor blowers. I know because littlefield builds them.
    Look at the rotors to be 100% sure.
    Santo