Impact & sfi

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by alkyholic, Mar 26, 2010.

1. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

this is just crazy... sad in way :(

How can a company in the business of safety conduct business this way. oh, I forgot, money

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

2. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Sounds like Impact/Simpson's problems just went from bad to worse :eek:

P.S. Don't sue me

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

At least nothing has been decertified until April 27th

giving them time to work thru their pissing contests

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

they may be in pissing contest but after the suit fiasco and now this, i'll spend my money elsewhere. Its our butt in the seat and i'd rather not take the chance.

If they dont work it out, does that mean everything they made is no longer legal or just all product going forward? Will the current gear pass inspection?

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Wow.. This is what SFI is for though, I'm glad to see them actively pursuing the problem.

6. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

As of April 27th, everything in those listed specs is trash. For now, if you have a genuinely certified product/suit, it is still legal for use. After April 27th, you need something else if in those specs. 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1 and 16.5.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

after talking to SFI looks like anything with a SFI tag is decertified april 27th
    ok to use until then

Looks to me like Dennis Taylor is going to get very busy

8. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

so will the helmets decertify as well? its the only impact gear i have. I read on another site that the helmet is snell and the liner and sock is sfi.

9. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

If it doesn't fall under those SFI specs, which are suits and restraint systems I think, then it shouldn't. Only those specs will be decertified, then from the 90 day point on, Impact will not be allowed to attach an SFI tag to anything under the name Impact, or any other brand they may choose to try under the same company.

10. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

Socks are a 3.3 item so it would seem it will be decertified on the effective date as well?

11. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

Impact Helmet

So that means Impact helmets (Snell approved) and a seperate 3.3 head sock from another manufacturer (other than Impact) will be ok to use together?

12. Ed Heiman NT/F

Ed Heiman NT/F New Member

i have a impact nitro helmet with the sock built in, is this in the decert??

13. top505

top505 New Member

Just called Taylor Motorsports and it was so nice to be able to call a company and speak with the owner and ask him how long it would take to build me another suit and other things like belts, gloves, boots etc. now that a lot of us have been screwed by Impact. Dennis informed be that he is doing the best he can on fire suits but that he is at least 6-8 weeks out due to the fact he has a lot of orders that came in before this Impact disaster! As far as the boots, gloves, and belts it seems he can turn these around quickly for me. Thanks DT for the friendly customer service and quality products!! So I recommend to all the racers out there to get things rolling as soon as possible.

14. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

You would actually wear something they manufactured knowing all this?

15. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

I'm gonna use my Impact stuff to light the BBQ, they burn even better than Chinese pajamas :eek:

16. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Stt Safety you can ask for Paul hes another owner that you can talk to they are also available to. This is going ot be a tough time for racers.
    770 961 5110

17. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Roasting hot dogs on Bill Simpson's body

Ok, I just went out and looked my stuff over, Impact boots, Impact belts which expired, and an Impact Nitro Helmet. Ok, so the boots are history, the belts are going to be replaced with Dennis' stuff but the helmet? The only SFI tag is on the skirt. That will be like tossing the chassis because the belts expired. I truly hope somebody is going to be able to help the racers out here. That damn helmet is expensive. I truly thought because it was snell certified the Impact couldn't f$#@ it up too! Dave Germain

what a way to ruin a perfectly good hot dog

18. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

Dave, it is my understanding if you were to wear a head sock from another manufacture with an SFI 3.3 tag, you could still use the helmet. Hope this helps.

DT

19. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

They currently have my suit that I sent them to inspect. It did not pass. They are making me a new one (Just sent them measurments yesterday morning) great timing. Will the new one I an getting be decertified before I even get it ? I call them after I saw the SFI decertification letter. They said everything would be resolved next week and my new one would be O.K. What do you guys think ?

Thanks

20. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Get your money back.