formed seats

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by clint thompson, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

Dennis Taylor came by our shop and made the foam insert with the ISP kit. It really does fill in the voids that you wouldn't think would be there, even if the driver is a tight fit in the car. I would try to have someone do this who has done it before or you may be buying a couple of kits. We are quite happy with how it is turning out. Dennis makes house calls so call him if you need one. Here are a couple of pictures of the insert in process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stanly1

Stanly1 New Member

Hey Scott,
    i saw that you were looking for someone to do a pour in place seat for you. ISP will come and do them for you. Me and a few guys got together and payed for Kris's flight out here and he did a great job pouring four seats for us that day. He owns ISP, and he was the one to com out there and do the seat for us. He will answer any question you have about the seat, or anything dealing with safety from head supports to seat belts. Before coming out Kris encourged us to do it ourselves but was happy to come out and do them for us. After watching Kris, I know that using the step by step instructions provided with each kit that i could have done these myself and will do the next ones myself like Kris said. The thing that I found most comforting about the ISP seats is that they form to the body perfectly, improved my visablity while driving, and are completely flame retardent. One thing to know is if you are currently sitting on a cushion the seat kit can be built up to the correct height. I have back problems and Kris had me position myself while pouring the seat to create extra support in my lumbar. It was a great addition to my car.

Stanly Brown

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

supporters

When making your decision on which foam seat to use, in addition to doing research on the product, keep in mind that Dennis Taylor of Taylor Motorsports Products and Jeff Garvin of GarvinMotorsports.com are advertisers/supporters of InsideTopAlcohol.com! :D

4. Ro Yale

Ro Yale Member

ISP Products

I went to ISP in NC last week. I had already purchased the products and just wanted to see more to insure I did the job correctly. Kris spent a good hour with me not trying to sell but to explain. His employee Bill also showed me a freshly pored seat and how to trim it. The guys were really helpful...they made my trip from Tx worthwhile. They even showed me some important facts involving seat belt mountings. I'll also say that Dennis Taylor has also been helpful to me and a pleasure to deal with. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks, Ro Yale

5. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

It was just brought to my attention what web site is charging the $40 price tag for the materials, and for THEIR application (karts, etc), that may be okay. For our cars, the kits that Dennis, Jeff, ISP, and I are promoting for use, are the proper kits. The price point of installation OR the option of fabricating and doing it your self is the decision that only an individual team can make for what fits best for them and from whom they want to acquire the seat from.

There are plenty of us racers to go around, so that means there are plenty of kits available for us to install (since many of us already custom make SO many things for our cars) AND plenty of work for the Installer folks if a team opts to not install on their own.

The kits I'm aware of that Dennis and I have DO come with Nomax material and IS the same kit that is currently being installed. These are slow setting and requires you to sit in the car for much longer than 15.

At this time, I'm not 100% on ISP, but I'm sure they do too, they do many fuel cars and I've seen their name on a few other cars within various classes.

I'm not sure if this is going to help anyone in their decision process, but I hope so.

Take care everyone and HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!!!

Nancy

6. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

The seat above is not finished, it will be covered. I thought it might interesting to some how it looked during the process of making the seat. Taylor Motorsports is making ours and I'm sure it will be as good as all of his products. I could see that making the seat on your own with out any help would be difficult. I’m glad someone came to our shop and they are making the seat.

7. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Thanks for pointing this out, I had this same conversation with a few today stating the same thing that you've mentioned here.
    ;)

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

seat kits

There are plenty of seats to choose from. Let's keep the conversation constructive. As mentioned earlier, Taylor and Garvin support the site. That being relatively small in the big picture, contact the suppliers and get the seat insert that is right for you.

9. Barry Ferriolo

Will or anyone- Has it ever been resolved that this "foam" process must be done on all tafc's ?

10. pmbuick

pmbuick Member

Barry, as far as I know all TA/FC's are required to have the seat insert. We will be doing ours this weekend and I believe it is an ISP kit. I will post the results after we do it.

Peter Maple

Terenzio Racing
    111 TA/FC

11. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Yes. The seat is mandatory as of Jan 1, 08 in TA/FC and TAD.

for all the 08 rule changes (to our knowledge) Lateral pads (butlers, Impact, Mark One or ISP), the seat insert, 2300 lbs minimum and helmet shroud oh and the moving of the crotch belt, still pending to see if 7 point works as an alternative to moving that belt.

BOB DEVOUR--are there any updates you can share on the 7 point topic as I was told that you were working directly with NHRA on that. (I've already left you a voice message as well so any info would be great)

Oops, must be the lack of blonde hair now, one more that I forgot (since our's was already done like the Nitro Funny Car) the belly pan changes.

Is there anything else I'm missing that we've overlooked in the rule book?

:rolleyes:

Sorry Barry, got distracted while writing and I re-read what I wrote and it didn't make Any Sense, so I rewrote it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  12. Barry Ferriolo

Pete & Nancy- I'm not talking about as far as I knows and my understandings. Is there anyone that knows for sure?

13. BD

BD New Member

Barry, you can call NHRA TECH and they can answer any questions.

or please call me at 562-547-3183 thanks BOB DEVOUR

14. clint thompson

can u read?

if you read the rule book it clearly states on page 227, section 6,

SEAT
    Seats must be foamed or formed to the drivers body. Minimum one layer , flame retardant material mandatory as seat upholstery, with manufacturers name displayed. No magnesium permitted.

Seems to be one of the more clearly written rules in my opinion, not to mention the posts from Bob Devour who is on the rules committee.
    :rolleyes:

what is not mentioned at all, but are required and will be in the revisions per Bob Devour is the side impact roll bar padding.

15. clint thompson

clarification

To further clarify, the aformentioned quote regarding the seats is in the TAD section. The first page of the TAFC section states "Requirements and specifications for TAFC are the same as those for TAD - section 12 - with the following exceptions:

I read that as the foamed seat is a requirement in TAFC, at least that is my understanding.

16. Barry Ferriolo

Clint- I did read the rule book and it's why I have a problem- What constitutes "formed" ? Isn't a aluminum seat that fits a driver tight formed to that driver ? Is it NHRA's plan to have every nook and cranny filled ? OR was it their intention not to have Laurel driving Hardy's car.

17. Barry Ferriolo

Clint- You started your posts with "cleary states" & "to further clarify" and you end with " at least that is my understanding" . My point exactly. Everyone could have a little different interpretation of this rule. Eric posted some pics of a neat looking job- but I didn't see anything on the sides of the seat. Is it just your back that is to be "formed" to the seat?

18. Barry Ferriolo

Bob- Getting over the phone info from NHRA tech may be sufficent on the left coast but get in a debate with Jim Collins and he goes to his right rear pocket and pulls out the rule book- much like Dirty Harry pulling out his .44 magnum. I would prefer black and white.

19. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

One fuel funny car team located not too far from my shop has formed driver's seats and have decided no foam is necessary based on the wording in the rule book. The seat has shoulder pockets, lumbar support and a notch for the Hanns device. I looked at it and agree. By the rulebook, he needs no foam.

My driver's seat has pockets for wider shoulders and a slight lumbar support. When my new driver sits in the seat there is no more room for anything. As per the rule book, the seat is formed to the driver and needs no foam. If the tech guys decide foam is the magic word at Pomona, it will be strictly a matter of opinion that can not be supported.

BTW, six months ago Brett Williamson sat in my car. Due to his size and the size of my seat he is an excellent poster child for seat foam. Laurel was sitting in Hardy's seat.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  20. clint thompson

i agree

Barry and Randy,

I agree with both of your interpretations of the rules formed or foamed is what it says so I would say an aluminum seat that basically "fits" a driver would be formed. I also know exactly what you are talking about Barry when you are concerned that the tech guys opinion won't match yours. what to do?:( I am at the same point with my crotch belt position, In my opinion it is fine........ but I don't stamp tech cards:confused:

i will say again though, even if it wasn't a requirement I would get the seat insert. It is VERY comfortable and I can't wait to drive the car with it. Can't hurt.