First Gear gear change in glide

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by KZ5 Blown SBC, Nov 21, 2013.

1. KZ5 Blown SBC

KZ5 Blown SBC Member

Thinking about changing my first gear ratio in my glide from 1.8 too 1.69 will I see any Rpm change between shift in high gear. meaning less Rpm drop with the 1.69 first gear going into high gear

2. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

more info

what tyre size.
    what rear end ratio.
    what sort of power.
    what sort of rev range.

tall and 2 speed is the new go with big hp, however the 1.80 is stronger than the 1.69.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. KZ5 Blown SBC

KZ5 Blown SBC Member

I run heads up 1/8 mile dragster .It makes 1800 HP Blown SBC 4.57 rear gear an 34" tire shifting at 8500 rpm .

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

been told that the gear wont last it will break..dave

5. john barnes

john barnes Member

Sonnax has a PG 1.58 gear that's supposed to be tough, they tested in some big hp tire shakers. If interested I can pass on availability and some prices or check them out directly. We've dealt with Sonnax since '89 and have always been treated well.

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Go with the 1.69. Cameron at Tourque Convertor services in Columbia sc built my transmission with a coan 1.69 or 1.65 ( can't remember which they make.) . After over three years of tire shaking and spinning in a 2000 lb blown dragster we finally had to replace the gear set this year, only because it started to look a little baggy. Our car ( and his power glide ) is the quickest power glide equipped car on the planet , and we still run the small input and output shafts. He builds a bad ass transmission for sure. And yes you will see a little less drop at the shift. Plus the car will like the higher first gear and not be as violent at the hit.

7. KZ5 Blown SBC

KZ5 Blown SBC Member

Thanks Jody thats what gear set i was looking at an you fly with it . But John has my attention now with that 1.58 set . John have you run that gear set or know anybody that has.