drive plate and convertor for Hemi

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NZpromod1968, Jun 14, 2015.

1. NZpromod1968

NZpromod1968 New Member

ok so were do i look for a drive plate for Hemi and convertor to suit Bruno?
    any ideas for bolting chev pattern bruno up to Hemi?

cheers Nigel

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Nigel the Bruno bell housing here in the States will not meet SFI standards for blown application and I wouldn't recommend anyone using it on a blown hemi application even if it had the correct bolt pattern. I would recommend a Browell bell housing. The flex plate can be gotten from either Mezeire or DMPE. DMPE is the lightest out there. The all out bolt together converters are made by Chance and by Coan. We use Chance with great success. Both these converters are high dollar up close to $6000 each. We have also had great success with a Spec Rite converter which is not a bolt together and cost a fraction of the price at $1800

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  3. mogenss

mogenss Member

Drive plate and converter for Hemi

Hi,

I have a trick titanium can made for the bruno, a meziere flexplate and a Chance NSX converter. The only thing you have to watch out for is the converter clearance to the flexplate.

Give Grant a call he have the combo that you need grant@fastforwardi.com

Moe

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Moe, do you know what pump and stator specs are in the converter? Sounds like s good combination.
    NZPromod do you run a Roots or screw blower?

5. NZpromod1968

NZpromod1968 New Member

at the moment roots but heading screw pos

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's a big difference in the stator of the converter switching from a Roots to a screw. The big thing in buying a used converter is having the correct pump. In case you don't know converters yet that is the angle and number of blades in the top half of the two piece converter and is fixed unless you change that whole half . The stators only cost $300 and they can be changed to perfect the tuning of the converter. It is normal to have 2 or 3 different stators to go with the converter. You can call Marty Chance or email him with the specs on the car now and what your changes will be in the future and he will tell you what you need. Then you will know what used one will be correct or what new one you need. After you get it all together and make a few runs Marty will help you fine tune the converter.

7. NZpromod1968

NZpromod1968 New Member

thanks Mike - your always a great help :)

8. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

Neil Chance convertors

I have just brought a 2nd hand bolt together and Marty was amazing! I gave him all the details and he came back to me within a day with a stator recommendation. A week or so later it was here and it fitted perfectly, even though this was a 13 year old unit. He also offered to look at the data as you say so I couldnt recommend them enough, their knowledge and service is fantastic.

9. OUTLAW225

OUTLAW225 New Member

A few years back we ran u 426 style blown alcohol Hemi with a Bruno, we ran an adapter plate made by Newby Engineering AUS, worked a treat later car was fitted with BBC sonnys motor, just convert or needed an extra .250" added to compensate for adaptor plate

10. OUTLAW225

OUTLAW225 New Member

Newby Engineering AUS

11. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

If your going new then Marty Chance is the way to go and the DMPE flex plate is very nice.

If you are just needing something to get you started cheap I have an older Coan steel weld together converter for a 1 1/4" Bruno drive out of a roots blown pro mod and I have 2 Reactor flex plates w/ the adapter and bolts. The Flex Plates I have are good for use (1 is in great shape, other has some dings that won't affect use) will not recert because there was more than a 3 year lapse in between certs (Sitting on my shelf) and the guy at Reactor want to make more money by selling new flex plates. I will sell the converter and both Flex plates w. the converter hub adapter for $600+sh. This was a matched setup that went 4.20's in a high hp 23 degree BBC roots pro mod.

I also have a customer in Australia if you need a reference. Thanks.

Trevor Sherwood
    Soldierboy0098@yahoo.com
    727-364-4368