donavon convertor drive?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jody stroud, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Has anyone here run a Pat Donavon convertor drive? Looks to be shorter than a lenco-drive or bruno setup. I need short, almost the same as a shorty glide, may have another half inch to spare.

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Jerry Decker ran one in his dragster, they missed quite a few races/rounds because the band inside the tranny would come apart. Give me a call and I can give you his number, maybe he can give you better information.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

3. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

I run one with CS2 Lenco on BAE screw

4. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

The length of the Donovan Tork-Link is 12 inch , flange to flange

5. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

bruno

jody - my bruno is 11" 7/8" flange to flange. with a 2 speed cs1 lenco at 17" flange to end of output - the overall length is 28" 7/8" inches. my coan glide - shorty with reid bell is 19" from flange to end of output shaft. a cs2/cs3 is shorter than a cs1 but the cs3 will not hold the hp and the cs2 is marginal. both cs2 and cs3 are the same outside lenghts. matt moore @ lenco told me not to use my cs3 as i regularly hurt the reverser with a 800 + ci motor. he had me upgrade my old cs1 to go behind my bruno for my "new" motor. andy burnet

6. jody stroud

Thank for the info looks like I may have to break down and backhalf the damn car to fit a lenco/bruno with a lenco.... what about API Big Brute stuff?

7. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

tranny

put either a coan xlt 1.25" shorty in it or hughes now makes a 1.25" shorty glide. the coan is a 1.80 but the hughes is either a 1.80 or 1.67 1st gear. coan sez mine will take 2500+ hp. depending on what converter you already have its a lot cheaper than a backhalf job. if you do the backhalf make it long enough to run a 3 speed if you want to someday. the reason i ended up with the bruno/2speed lenco is for the 1.57 1st gear ratio - i didn't want the wheel speed with a 1.80/1.67 1st gear. see what going to a good blower motor gets you - not enough room for a needed tranny. a bruno is over $3000.00 used and then you still need a better converter than what you have. then again you don't need to carry a spare bruno around vs. an extra glide or two. andy b.

8. QtrWarrior

QtrWarrior New Member

Jody, If you need a Bruno/Lenco, I have one for sale in the classifieds..

9. underby6

underby6 Active Member

You had mentioned the possibility of running top alcohol dragster with your car. Don't forget to measure for the depth of a titanium can, and I think you can only put one on a lenco. I'm not 100% sure they don't make them for Donovan's but might want to check.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

10. blown375

blown375 New Member

http://www.patdonovanracing.com/

Seeing that the bellhousing and the rest of the Donovan torquelink are all one piece , " I don't think so"...

11. jody stroud

Thanks for the replies guy's. I just don't want to back myself in a corner this time when I put this MBR hemi in the car. Natch. Spitzer says I need a new TAD car, but if I can run div. nhra races I'll be satisified for a while LOL. Have a good glide in the car for now from Cameron in Columbia SC, but if this new motor starts eating them I'll try to talk J.Ed into backhalfing the car (for a three speed) and add the helment shroud and TAD legal wing and struts.

12. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

j ed mods

jody - i just got thru getting j ed to modify my 285" bos with the "eddie" updates for a 481x. i needed other things done - a footbox modification and changes to get the oil pump to clear the frame rails. just remember you cannot go faster than 6.00 in nhra in top dragster at this time - you don't need wing updates and roll cage cap unless you want to go top alcohol dragster - then you will need a trick can for your bruno/lenco - might as well add the clutch. j ed is getting real good at doing the fast dragster updates without going to a top alcohol dragster setup. andy burnet

13. jody stroud

Andy, my Spitzer is already TAD/TopFuel legal from the roll cage forward (footbox, K member, etc. ) just needs head shroud and wing. Can I use a Browell Alum. can insted of Ti. Yeah I know about the 6.00 deal, kind of sucks huh. Did you buy the ex Terry Legget 481X from FT. MIll SC?

14. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

481x

Yes - i got it from scott campbell who lives in kings mountain. i'm in ft mill. took both car and motor to j ed + richard. just a few things to finish. i was going to try rockingham but not a time or place to test. i'm now thinking i can get a few 1/8 mile shots next week at zmax. andy burnet

15. jody stroud

Let me know how it runs, good luck.:)

16. Charles Stewart

Need your help regarding the 6,00 sec limit in T/D...
    I see a limit in the advance E.T. section rules in the NHRA rulebook, but not in T/D rules, except if you run that class with a credential "code 3A" competition licence.
    Thank for your support,
    Charles Stewart