Differnce in brad 6 and brad 8 heads

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sean70ss, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

I am not to familiar with these heads what is the difference between the two? Does one make better power or have a different use?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I believe there are Brad 5, 6, 7 & 8. Somebody correct me if I am wrong..... the difference between a 5 & 6 is the size of the valves for NHRA PM class and the same with the difference between the 7 & 8. The Brad 6 and 7 have the legal valve sizes for PM. A Brad 5 became the new Brad 8 and the Brad 6 became the new Brad 7. The Brad 7 & 8 have different exhaust port shapes and a slightly different combustion chamber shape and I believe the height and curvature of the intake ports was changed and improved. The Brad 7 & * flow more air than the 5 & 6 and thus the boost will actually read lower because of this increased airflow but you have to add more fuel. Experience has also shown that the valve geometry between a 5 & 6 is different to a 7 & 8 and requires different rocker arm assemblies. If I remember correctly on the 7 & 8 the lip that the valve cover gasket sets on is also higher to prevent the oil from leaking out as bad with the valve covers off.

3. badbird

badbird New Member

id only add to that that the 5s had a square exhaust port and different flanges and gaskets,lower cover lip and lower intake ports meaning that manifold sat a little lower,
    the 6 and later heads use tha same manifold but bae deaigned them to compensate for the higher ports and a small mod is needed on bae intakes ( a strip along where the sponge seals)
    5s may not be the head of choice these days but the work very well in A fuel and screw blown classes still

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Bae

Within the BAE 5's, there are the older dual plug heads and the single plug 5's with cnc finish intake ports.

After the 5, the 6 came out with a slightly raised intake runner and a D port exhaust. You had to put a .25" spacer under the lips of the intake to get it to fit again. The intake valve size was 2.400 to conform to PM rules.

Then the 8 came out with 2.450 intake and the divider on the bottom of the intake port. I don't know the exact changes, but in the higher overdrive screw applications, it really seemed to pick the top running B/AD's up when they switched.

Somewhere after that, they came out with the BAE 7, which was the PM legal version of the 8, with a 2.400 intake valve size.

Since then, BAE has the 8x that has a different exhaust port, and takes a different header due to the flange angle being different. I believe this head has a 2.480 intake.

At the end of the day, they all make good power. The more blower you have, the more critical head flow becomes. The later model heads are faster.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Wow, so I was close. Had them the right way around. Have to admit I missed the 8X, did not know about that one. Thanks Will.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

heads

Not stirring the pot how do they compare to the NRE head? I am making a some changes and I really appreciate the insight.

7. craig moss

craig moss Member

Mike its good 2 have u back !!!

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

For the last week I was at ADRL at Dallas fine tuning a PM that was shipped from Sweden belonging to Adam Flamholc (www.flamholcracing.com). The whole crew was from Sweden and they were great. A professional bunch of guys that got along well together and loved to race and drink strong coffee. I was surrounded by promods and thought I was in heaven. For a month before that I was hiding out in Maine (lol).

9. fed-west

fed-west Member

Which Brad head would be best for a small PSI blower motor, say 370 inch. And would you use a .500 short deck block?

Thanks.

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Nre

I can't say that I have ever back to backed BAE 8's vs NRE X1, but we have a number of top running cars out there. Frankie Taylor and Gaylen Smith in PX, Chris Foster and Richard Putz both won Division Championships with X1 power. Mike Janis has run pretty good in legal Pro Mod trim with our heads, not to mention Jamie Noonan has set the Top Alcohol record in Australia with them.

NRE is committed to R&D on the blown alcohol motors. They are working on a blow through flow bench with a blower mounted to study what really happens at high rpm boost. They are also working towards having an in-house inertia wheel dyno. They currently have an in-house spintron machine and have done quite a bit of work with valve train stabilization and camshaft design. The results of this R&D is open to all NRE customers.

NRE will also update your heads to our latest designs when possible.

One of our authorized repair facilities is Slick Rick Racing Heads here in Houston. He should be online in a few weeks to do both hand and CNC repairs.

11. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I have wanted to do this for a long time, as I'm sure others have wanted also, I'm glad to hear someone is getting closer.

12. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

And lets not forget the new Total Flow/ Chuck Ford head.

13. paint guy

paint guy Member

heads

i've heard you can run the same rocker arm set on the bae 5,6,8 .is that not true?that was from a well known px racer.

14. badbird

badbird New Member

we took the manton gear off our 6s and bolted them straight on to the NRE with no isseus ever
    so i dont see why you couldnt do the same with the bae stuff

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Graham, 5/6 stuff will bolt on to a 7/8 head but the valve geometry will be off. You will have problems with pushrods and other valve train parts. I know, because we ran into that problem.

16. badbird

badbird New Member

Hi Mike we diddnt encounter any real probe putting the stuff on the NRE heads
    although the geometry isnt great it hasnt caused significant probs...so far
    we will over the winter respec some valve lenghts ect,
    Adam and his guys are realy good guys....i bet you had a blast,
    now if anyones got some trans /clutch info to share for a Turbo hemi/3 speed/clutch combo
    for a legal pro mod set up...........:p

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Maybe the NRE heads are different to the 7/8 on rocker arms. Yes, I had a great time with Adam and his crew. Had a real hard time adjusting to the track surfaces over here. They are very different to the European tracks.

18. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

Rocker arm combinations and questions

WE PRODUCE A ROCKER ASSEMBLY TO CORRECTLY FIT ALL OF THE CYLINDER HEADS MENTIONED ABOVE. THERE ARE TIMES THAT PUSH ROD FIT MAY BE A QUESTION, BECAUSE OF DIFFERENCES IN THE LOCATION OF THE ACCESS HOLE THROUGH THE HEAD, BUT WE HAVE THE CORRECT ANSWER TO ANY COMBINATION. INCLUDING A/FUEL.

WE HAVE IN STOCK ROCKER ASSEMBLY'S FOR THE NEW TOTAL FLOW / CHUCK FORD HEAD, WHICH HAS PROVEN IT'S PERFORMANCE IN SEVERAL CARS INCLUDING ANDY BOHL'S TA/FC. ALSO ASSEMBLY'S FOR THE X1 NOONAN HEAD, THAT HAS SHOWN IT'S SELF TO BE OUTSTANDING BY MANY IN EVERY CATEGORY.

GEOMETRY, FIT, VALVE TRAIN STABILITY, DURABILITY AND RELIABILITY. ALL VERY IMPORTANT. WE DO NOT AGREE THAT A LITTLE BIT OF FLEX IS BETTER. THAT STATEMENT IS USED BY OTHER VALVE TRAIN COMPANY'S.

WE STRIVE TO PRODUCE AS STIFF A FINISHED PRODUCT AS POSSIBLE.
    IF A LITTLE DEFLECTION IS PREFERABLE THAN I WOULD THINK ALL F1 AND INDY ENGINES WOULD USE PUSH RODS--------------?????????????????????????????????

I WOULD ASK ANYONE THAT HAS A QUESTION ABOUT ANY COMBINATION OF CYLINDER BLOCK, CYLINDER HEAD, BLOCK HEIGHT, VALVE HEIGHT, LIFTER DESIGN, PUSH ROD CONFIGURATION PLEASE CALL US. WE DO HAVE A VERY DETAILED ANSWER.

NOEL MANTON tel: 951 674-2212
    TERRY MANTON tel: 951 245-6565
    AL PERKINS tel: 951 245-6565

WE WILL BE AT POMONA. IF YOU SEE US JUST STOP US. WE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  19. cudacustoms

cudacustoms New Member

X1 vs 8x vs chuck ford total flow

I have been looking into changing to one of these heads. Any in put on which is better or worse would be great.