Darien Testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Doug Watt, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Can anyone confirm 5.55 @ 255?

2. scott hall

scott hall Member

Actually it was 5.53 @ 254. At 1800' ft of air.
    5.98 @ 233, 2900 ft of air.

Parity has been over acheived! :)

(this message was o.k.ed by Jerry Darien on 1/19/05 @ 10:05 a.m. pst)

3. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Thanks Scott, You may be right... they seem to have tipped the scales the other way. Will see this weekend in Vegas if any AFD can run a 5.30

Doug

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

What do you guys think a TAD would run in the same conditions? 5.40's? 5.30's?

[ January 19, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Not knowing track conditions, and what or how hard we were trying, I would not want to guess what we would have run.
    Also, the first couple of passes are bound to be conservative and slower. As we were told repeatably the last few years; " Give it several races before you start whining".

Marty

6. scott hall

scott hall Member

Doug,

I was just conveying a message, not an opinion.

I've already been in trouble for having an opinion.

7. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

I understand, I can here Jerry saying that...

8. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

I would bet they didn't rent the track and spend 7500 dollars testing to not try to make it work. Two days and alot of head scratching, but it will be ok in six or eight races .

9. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Mike,

What are your plans for this year? I heard that your going to sell your stuff and not race.

Doug

10. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Sold a bunch of stuff, taking offers on the rest and the car turn key.

11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

MIke, you going TF like DRO had mentioned???

12. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

NHRA was looking for a tenth looks like after testing today at Vegas they got more than they bargined for!! Ashley ran 5 50's & 60's. MPH way down to. I know this is to early to call but I also know that Darrien is not holding back. I have seen this car run 40's all day at 4000 ft and 95 degrees.

13. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

The testing is not going well. Darien has made runs and so has Sheilds with Boggs tuning and Morgans car has been testing and its not looking good at all. Hope everyone is happy now ! ! !

14. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Force ran a 5.50 the best run a B/AD made was a 6.04 by Jack Beckman as what http://www.dragracecentral.com/ posted. Last year at the fall vega race he ran a 5.77 were as Force ran a 5.34 looks like they still have a lot on the B/AD

[ January 22, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Hokes Racing ]

15. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Not yet, maybe in Pomona, maybe not.

Only will be happy when the blown cars show they can have low ET too.

16. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Wonder why there are no top ten blown TAD's testing at Vegas?
    A better judge is the TAFC ET's. Payne has run as good as Shields and not far off Ashley's times.
    Get the pcx. Just hope the Force camp & Shields has a direct line to NHRA or it could be a long non competetive season for a-fuel. I just feel bad for the owners that choose to switch last year and are now caught up in this mess.
    I am in the process of fabricating the new mandated oil retaining pan & the more I work the madder I get. Anyone see an a-fuel car oil the track down last year because of an engine failure
    not related to a oil line leaking? I didn't !!!

17. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

I didnt see any A/Fuel cars oil the track not to say none did but I bet we will see it this year and I bet there is going to be alot more blow ups in the pits and on the track with this new change. Nobody knows what to do with this change and it can be dangerous I just hope nobody gets hurt. Messing with Nitro in not a good idea Im hoping Bill calls it quits or changes and races something else.Theres too many people out there running nitro already and dont know what their doing and now its going to be even more dangerous for them and the people around them.

18. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

I went to Vegas for the day and watched tha A fuel cars look absolutely pathetic!!! These guys have all gone through a multitude of cams, compression and timing changes with little or no success. Darrien rented the track and made 7 runs last week at a cost of how much? They are really trying hard!! Let's also not forget that Darrien has a few old timers in the next door trailers to bench race with. If this group can't find a solution, what's joe average gonna do?
    Reichert is absolutely right about dangerous!! You can hear the motors struggling to break free of the clutch but they just can't get any rpm's. With no magical blower on top to fix the problem these cars don't have a way to add more power. You simply can't add more fuel without adding more air.
    Would NHRA like to see how to clear a starting line real fast? Can't get enough wheel speed on the line? Put a pedal clutch in one of these cars and rev it to about 6000 on the line!!!!
    Watch the parts, cubic money and spectators fly!! I guess that's why they added the oil catch pan.
    Buy the way as a comparison, last year in good air here Payne ran 5.61 @ 254. Testing in 3000 feet this year he ran 5.65 @256. Or in other words bogs or darrien should have been able to run over 270 at 5.20-30 during testing this year. Jay's going home to watch football Sunday like most of us. Darrien, Bogs, Rizzoli, Dana, etc. can all stay at the track and try to maintain there sanity!!!
    Does anybody really think the bean counters at NHRA really give a XXXX about any of this. The cost sure as hell doesn't come out of their checks.
    Well I guess that's enough whining for now, I'll go back to spending 24 hrs a day trying to figure out how to make this 96% work.

19. ttutubono

ttutubono Guest

have they tryed taking out 1 clutch disk? not that i know anything about anything just a question

20. mister know it all

mister know it all New Member