could the resurgance of blown entries die away as quick as it came?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

with the new od given to the blown cars at the end of last season there was much hope that the b/ad could be a viable championship winning combination. several new blown teams popped up this year, and the existing blown teams were hard at work getting a handle on the new od. after getting beat up pretty good the last few years, the blown cars finally got a bone thrown their way and the a/fuel cars were virtually left alone. what a great year for tad. however, there was a storm cloud over the horizon. how close to their potential were the a/fuel cars?

enter lucas's 5.12 in pomona. phenominal run. good conditions, but not really what you would call 'mineshaft' like we saw in virginia last year when the blown cars returned to the mid .20's.

all over the country, a lot of hope was lost for the blown contingent.

is this recent jump in performance a by product of the new digital ignition and electronic fuel timers? or did boggs just use some of his mojo? without a lot of money, none of us outside the lucas team will ever truly know. several a/fuel teams stepped up big time as well. new toys or new ideas? bottom line is the same.

if nothing else, lucas' 5.12 compels us to take a hard look at the parity of the class again.

so let me throw these two topics out there:

1. will the current a/fuel good air advantage be off set by a blown car 'regular/bad' air advantage during the middle of the year? what we're looking at is the front runners of each. support your response with facts.

2. will the top blown cars run equal to the top a/fuel cars in the warmer months?

3. under the current rules, what is the absolute best for both combos?

4. what justifications can be made for any performance-limiting regulations on the b/ad right now?

5. what can a b/ad run with a c blower at 128 od?

no bashing...no badmouthing the other side...let's just get some intellegent discussion going here.

here's my opinion -

1. there will be races where the blown car has the upper hand. there will be less this year as the a/fuelers get a handle on the hot weather. reichert won the championship last year kicking ass in the hot summer months. i'd say 2 national events and 5 divisionals. of those races you might ask the question...would the dominance been the same if a reichert/lucas/gallant, etc showed up?

2. given the current rules, no more than 3 nationals you'll see equal performances at the top of the qualifying list and on race day.

3. i don't think 5.0's are out of the question, and it may happen this weekend in houston. mid 60's at sea level. i think a 5.199 out of a blown car would be on par with a 5.099 out of an a/fueler. more realistically we may see another 5.11/5.12/5.13 out of the a/fuel side and a 5.22/23 on the blown side in a mineshaft. about a tenth difference.

4. based on potentials of the combinations, i don't see anything that justifies limiting the blown cars. i think the c blower needs to be legalized immediately.

5. i think a middle teen is attainable out of a c blower. at somepoint up the boost scale the amount of air the cylinder head can flow and the cid the b/ad runs at will be the limiting factor, not the supercharger. how close we are to that point is debatable.

federlin just crashed....will he rebuild in b/ad trim? perkins steps up to a career best 5.33 only to be two tenths back....they have a fc in the shop, will they stick with the b/ad? lee callaway still has a b/ad but has already moved to tafc.

who else may make the switch to tafc? or quit.

just remember blown alcohol dragsters help the class.

2. tad2155

tad2155 Member

?!?@?#?$?

i know your pain, the bama boys are going to montgomery this weekend to check out the adrl pro-mods we're wondering which way to go and ronnie
    wanted to take the year off and regroup so here we are

Bama Boys

3. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho New Member

it's like the pro mod, nitrous vs blower debate, theres no simple answer and as soon as you slow the blown (pro mod) or a-fuel (dragster) down they find new ways to make power

I think with some time the blown alky guys can get more of a handle on the bigger OD they're now allowed, but with Steve Bogg's Morgan is gunna be hard to catch - the mans a wizard! anyone who can have over a tenth on the whole field is doing something a bit special

4. Will Hanna

Staff Member

pro mod

one big difference b/t pro mod and tad is the nitrous cars have little or no restrictions....they're giving them all they got.

the c blower is sitting there waiting...

5. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

With the 128 they have a hard time keeping blower belts on think they get 1 run for each belt, 2 at the most.

Lanny

6. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I've heard that RCD is going to be putting out 11mm belt/pulley system that is suppose to curb the belt turnover rate @ 128%. What's the probability that NHRA will actually allow the "C"?

Brandon Booher

7. alky racer

alky racer New Member

We put at least 8 runs on a belt with the new overdrive all you need to do is run the dual idler pulley set up. During testing this year we put 15 on one belt and it never failed we pulled it off before Pomona.

8. tad2155

tad2155 Member

blown

adrl is run what ya brung have already discussed with Kenny Knowling in nitrous and blown

that is real racing

Bama Boys

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

It is a little early in the season to be having this discussion. Morgan also had a tenth on all other afd at Pomona. Do you think maybe Mr. Boggs who has the best good air tuneup for afd is the reason? Maybe if Boggs was tuninhg a blown car there would be much better results for one of them. It seems that in drag racing you are better off betting on the horse, not the jockey. One reason the afd continues to proliferate is because they are less espensive to run. With good tuning help more and more are finding out they can be competetive without all the breakage. Look at the Pomona winner as an example. I also think that the blown cars are good for the class and am for giving them what ever they need to step it up but believe that because of the difficulty associated with increased hp with a blown motor the cost will elimate most of the cars. Of course the cost to some is insidental but not most racers. Will I know this topic generates hits but it is way to early to prdict gloom and doom. There will always be someone out there that has it figured out wheather afd or bad. Case in point in the past was Santo's.
    I don't want to open up that can of worms but it is true. Maybe we should look at the average et by blown car vs afd to get the a truer pcx. I wouldn't expect NHRA to jump on the first race with kneejert reaction not after such a short time with the new od rule.

10. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Pretty soon it isn't going to cost anything to run a blown alcohol dragster.

Look how much it is costing the bama boys.

11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Will, Div. 6-7 have always had good Blown car counts. I bet at G-Ville or Houston you won't see a blown car in the top 8.

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

cheaper?

i've worked on both and ordered parts for both. in a perfect world, an a/fueler can be MARGINALLY cheaper at best...and you have to be comparing apples to apples. if you compare an a/fueler that isn't breaking parts to a blown car breaking parts, obviously the a/fueler is cheaper. you could swap that argument and make a blown car drastically cheaper.

some things are cheaper on the a/fueler, but most of those costs are offset. drum of nitro, double the ignition expense and at very least 50% more clutch expense. when you go fast, the goodyear tires don't last long. also look at how many heads the fast cars go through...burning valves and the like.

valve spring and rod technology has improved over the past few years to help lower the cost of the bad side. i don't know how many runs teams are getting now at the increased od, but valve springs are lasting close to 20 runs now, and many teams run the new style steel springs.

marginally cheaper at best when comparing apples to apples....if possible.

13. Pipe Tools

Pipe Tools New Member

Darren,

Can I bet ya ?

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

O'Bannon

O'Bannon is going TAFC...read the release in the news section...

15. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

at least he will have a even playing field

Lanny

16. JBJ

JBJ Member

W) Larry Miersch (Miersch Racing TA/D) 0.022 5.363 263.15
    (L) Sean O'Bannon (Tequila Patron B/AD) 0.069 5.339 268.60

I thought that this race was a pretty even playing field :confused:

17. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Thats not even......an AFD car won!

18. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

I know the 5.12 is and was unbelievable. Steve just has that way about him. I would look at what did the other afuel and blown cars did. They were pretty close. I remember when Steve tuned a funny car to a world championship. What is everyone going to do if he ever tunes one of them again fulltime. Move to comp eliminator.
    Heck Manzo and Paynes runs are way out there too. Just makes one try harder.

19. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Confused? You forgot to mention these runs.

Left Lane: Morgan Lucas Runs 5.124/277.09, Now #1

Left Lane: Duane Shields Runs 5.240/269.83, Now #2

(W) Morgan Lucas (Lucas Oil Special A/FD) 0.076 5.263 274.16

(W) Brandon Johnson (Mike Johnson Racing A/FD) 0.060 5.246 265.17 (NOTE: 1st event with AFD combo)

20. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

But those camps are all working harder than the blown guys...