Classified Parts Scam

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mike Canter, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No, I didn't get caught. It sounded fishy from the start. A guy sent me a text about one of the parts I have listed in the classified section and sent he wanted it. Was going to send me a little extra money via Fedex to pay the "movers" who will pick it up. Didn't seem right but I finally received the check via Fedex and it was $2250.00 for a $250 part. He wants me to deposit it in my account and take out my $250 and give the rest to the "mover". It was written on a check from Cousins Supermarket #3 in Philadelphia. Went on the internet and found the store and called them and they knew all about it and I was the fifth guy to call. The said it was NOT their check and somebody had stolen their account number. So fair warning to all. Please verify all checks and money orders before cashing or shipping parts.

2. apacheracing53

Have had a similar experiences a few times now as well.
    They always say they will pay full price.
    Always want to know your address.
    Their emails are usually full of spelling mistakes.
    After a while it is quite easy to pick them out.

I don't even sell out of my house anymore. Always meet someplace if you can.
    Can't be too careful.
    Was told by a police officer that lots of thieves just want to know where you live so they can come and steal stuff.
    Hope all this helps everyone out in the future.

3. promodracer

promodracer Member

Thanks mike

4. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Thanks Mike
    The same thing happens over here in England.
    Sometimes they reply to Wanted Ads too, saying they have exactly what you want for cheap. Just send a cheque !!!

5. aj481x

aj481x Member

Remember, Cash talks and bullsh-t walks.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree that we all like cash but selling parts across the USA makes that hard. I have sold and bought stuff with honest people with no problems. I will never send the parts until the money order or check clears. US Postal money orders seem to be a good deal because the USPS can tell you right away if it valid. The other way is to have the money wired via Western Union. The system makes it easy because the buyer has to give Western Union the money before they will wire it.

7. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Thank you for sharing mike. I had a similar deal go on also. Someone was trying to pay me 1600 for a 200 dollar fuel sell i was selling. Got a check in the mail for 1600. The name on it was from a dentist in florida and the seller was in oklahoma. And they kept sending me really strange text messages from a google account number

8. aj481x

aj481x Member

I guess I should have said cash equivalents.

9. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Scams

Hey Mike, this is a common scam, they are usually fake money grams, so when you cash them it takes the bank 30 days to find out so you just sent your money to the shipping company which is usually the guy or a friend of the guys and it goes back to him. Then in 30 days the bank says you owe them......

I have a guy who just sent me $1930 for a $400 computer, the rest of coarse for shipping using fraudulent Money grams. Funny thing is it just cost me $800 to ship a pair of heads, intake, and valve covers from another country but my little old pc is $1500 in the states....lol. The best part is I am ignoring him to see how much of his time I can waste and now he is threatening to report me for ignoring him which must be a crime :). You can report it to IC3.com which is the cyber crimes division of the FBI but just a heads up even when you have track able evidence such as finger prints and phone numbers that could easily be back tracked through routers, you know information that can lead to a guy they don't care. There is a group called rewards redemption that has been running scams for over 5 years and they just keep changing the phone number they use after it gets shut down. Perhaps if criminals were actually held accountable in our country.....

Trevor Sherwood

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

What you should do is package up a old brick and a sealed envelope with some funny money it and send it with the "mover". When it got back to the bum that sent the bad check at least maybe he would be on the hook for the "movers" expense.

-Dale