Boost Logging

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by KENNETH JORDAN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. KENNETH JORDAN

Is there a way to log boost with just a Grid and a PM44? Just hard to spend 1K dollars on something so simple..

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The only cheap way I know of is to get a memory gauge but that only records the highest boost obtained during the run

3. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

4. KENNETH JORDAN

I have a memory guage that shows highest reading. Wanting to log the boost curve with the Grid. I only run 35-38 lbs boost. Maybe the 7762 would handle that. May have to call MSD and ask.

5. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Probably wouldn’t fail, but it won’t report over 30 so not much use if you’re at 38.

I’ve seen multiple instances where a cheap boost multiplier/divider would help. Been tempted to try to figure out how to make one. Like two small cheap plastic check valves that are different sizes back to back.

At 1.5:1 area ratio you could use the 7762 no problem. I could use the internal map sensor on my ignition box. I could also multiply fuel pressure at > 1:1 on my boosted street car. Maybe some day

6. Graham Brown

Graham Brown Member

Plumb a double acting air cylinder arrangement into the monitoring circuit. It will need to be one with a larger rod diameter to get the areas ratio to suit, especially if you're looking for 1.5:1. Piston stroke will also come into the equation.
    Hook up the manifold supply to the rod side of the cylinder and the opposite side to the measuring device.
    Test the pressure differential with air pressure and gauges on both ends as there will be friction losses too.

7. KENNETH JORDAN

The MSD site says it will read to 43.5psi. Not sure about it. going to try and give them a call