Beadlock back space?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alt 6153, Dec 8, 2010.

1. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

How do you measure the back spacing on a beadlock wheel. I have a set of weld beadlocks that i'm using for mock up. The guy I got them from told me that they were 4in BS. I measure 4 1/2 to the edge of the parting line and over 5" to the outside of the lock ring. Where should I be measuring to? :confused:

2. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

According to Weld Wheels, on double bead locks, it is measured from the outside edge of the bead lock ring to the inner mounting flange, here is a link to their PDF that shows how to measure.

3. BLOWN INCOME

100% correct... Thats the way to measure beadlocs....

4. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Sweet.

Thanks for the info. That means i have more tire clearance than I thought... :D

5. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Just remember that more backspace places the wheel & tire closer to the chassis.

6. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Ya. Thanks. I am using a set of wheel for mock up and thought they were 4" bs but are really 5" so if I find a set of 4.5" or 4" bs, I will have lots of room.
    Thanks again for the info. Love ITA.

7. outlaw02camaro

outlaw02camaro New Member

???

i know thats how weld told me to measure too, but i had a set of older welds(sold them), i cant remember the thickness of the beadlock flange off hand(have it written down somewhere), but i know that another set of wheels i had looked at (used) had a thinner ring. that being said, if you measured that way you'd have 2 different backspacing measurements but in reality it would put the tire at the exact same spot. does this make sense or am i overthinking it? i know thats how they measure them, but i'd think a more accurate way would be to measure to the lip where the ring bolts to allowing for different thickness rings. just a thought so i'd have to measure the rings before i buy a new set or different manufacturer!

8. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

I agree, it would be more consistent and more accurate to measure to the parting line, but, I don't think a 1/4" to 1/2" difference would have that much effect.

It looks like the method shown is just an easy way to measure, straight edge and yard stick.

9. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

The tire bulge makes more of a difference when it comes to chassis interference. You need to have that measurement in addition to the backspace to keep you out of trouble.

10. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE