Alcohol Engine Clarification

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by tjenna, Apr 28, 2004.

1. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

What does this mean for Austin, Niver etc?

NHRA clarifies alcohol engine moratorium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4/26/2004

Three years ago, in an effort to control escalating long-term costs in the alcohol categories, NHRA released a moratorium on cylinder blocks and head designs that allows only engine combinations used prior to April 1, 2001. After careful review, the NHRA technical department is clarifying the modifications that will be accepted and the dimensions and specifications that must remain unchanged (see below).

AMENDMENT TO 2004 NHRA RULEBOOK - April 26, 2004
    SECTION 8 - TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER - ENGINE

Only those engine combinations that utilize cylinder blocks and head designs that were in NHRA competition prior to April 1, 2001, will be accepted for NHRA competition. Any modifications or alterations to cylinder blocks and head designs used prior to April 1, 2001, other than those listed below, will be deemed to be a change in design and therefore prohibited. Engine combinations that do not meet the following criteria but were used in NHRA competition in 2003 will be accepted through the 2004 season only. For a complete list of cylinder blocks and head designs that are allowed in NHRA competition, contact the NHRA technical department: phone, (626) 250-2485; fax, (626) 914-7551.

All engine combinations must adhere to the following criteria:

Maintain interchangeability of existing parts (i.e., cranks, cams, manifolds, valve covers, rocker assemblies, etc.)
    Maintain original bore center variance of +/- .015-inch
    Maintain maximum camshaft-to-crankshaft centerline variance of +/- .015-inch as used prior to April 1, 2001
    Valves can be any size as long as they maintain intake and exhaust valve-angle variance of +/- 1 degree
    Maintain general combustion-chamber configuration (e.g., Hemi, canted valve). Fuel injection directly into cylinder prohibited
    Maintain original cylinder orientation in reference to centerline of crankshaft
    Maintain valve-guide location, lateral and front to back, variance of +/- .015-inch
    Maintain lifter-bore location, lateral and front to back, variance of +/- .015-inch
    Maintain maximum and minimum (+/- .015-inch) engine-block deck-to-crankshaft centerline dimension as used prior to April 1, 2001
    Retain cylinder head, timing cover, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve-cover bolt pattern; additional bolts/studs/dowels may be used
    Retain as cast/forged minimum block wall and web/rib thickness
    Note: Effective Jan. 1, 2005, the maximum allowable bore center spacing will be 4.840 inches on all engines used in Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car competition.

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

"Note: Effective Jan. 1, 2005, the maximum allowable bore center spacing will be 4.840 inches on all engines used in Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car competition."

What is the spacing on a Fontana?

What about Rupert's "Chet" engines?

[ April 28, 2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

3. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

I don't know about Chet's motor but the Fontana is stock chevy bore spacing of 4.840" By the way this rule reads must have been written by either a politician or a lawyer.

4. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Can someone point out which engine combinations this would eliminate or allow that werent previously allowed.

5. DHE

DHE New Member

This really sucks! I've spent the last 15 years developing a Ford based engine,mainly for Top Alcohol.It uses a 4.900 bore center,which now can't be used? If the NHRA has the 2001 rule,what are they afraid of? The Ford and Ford based engines that have been used so far, can't be developed any further, and have not been that popular anyway.I sure don't see where there would be any mass defection from the 4.84 center engines (ie.Chrysler,Chev,Fontana, etc.)to the 4.900 (Ford) ones.
    I feel really sorry for the guys using Ford engines,that spends the money and time trying to run with all the cookie cutter engines out there.
    I say again,What is the NHRA so afraid of?

Dale Hill
    DHE Racing Engines

6. Greg Hunter

Greg Hunter New Member

The Chet engine is also 4.900. I talked with Rupert and they are still planning on running that combo until this new rule was implimented. Some of us will be out a lot of money. We have a petition going against this right now and many racers have signed and we are going to get it set up online so everyone can sign. I will post where to sign when we get it set up.

P.S Thanks to everyone who signed for me in Vegas! Thanks for the support, that is what drag racing is all about.

7. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Go get 'em Greg.

8. NITROITCH

NITROITCH New Member

What about the "TOTAL FLOW" improved BAE5 heads?? Did these change or alter any of the diminsions of the prior date rule? Warren

9. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

The total flow are possible a improved version of theV.s But I think the allen Johnson stage V olds motor might have a different bore center making it not useable. But I think it was available before the date mandated by N.H.R.A. Just some input. Mike

10. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Mike are you headed to Atlanta?

11. kosky racing

Not ready yet, no parts ordered 3 mo. ago. First race will be Maple Grove points race.

12. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Coe on Kosky. Get off your butt. LOL
    Marty

13. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Come on Kosky. Get off your butt. LOL
    Marty

14. kosky racing

The truth is really it's to cold out {45}. Then it's going to be to hot and we are waiting for the parts for our awning.Us old guys can't take either extremes. LOL at Atlanta Mike

15. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Hey mike us younger guys dont like them ethier!!LOL