A/FRO MEETING

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Wendland, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Wendland

Wendland Guest

A/FRO's first meeting was the morning and went very well. Several topic's were discussed from saftey to pairity and possible changes for TAD class.

There were 13 members who showed up this morning. First topic for discussion was to present a proposal to NHRA to test a select A/Fuel car before stating any rule changes that would affect A/Fuel performance. The recommended car that was purposed was Jerry Darien's. We also would ask NHRA to pay Jerry for the testing. A blown representive would be asked to be there while testing was taking place.

Another idea brought up was to race to 1000 ft on Division tracks for saftey reasons. It would be easier on parts and reduce top end speeds. Would also increase shut down area.

Long tern goals for A/FRO and current situations were also discused. Arthur Galiant was voted in the officers meeting as a canidate for represntative for Div. 1..

More information on this meeting will be available early next week after the Reading race.

2. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

3. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

WHOA DUDE......don't go making changes for "ALL" of us....I run 1320 feet...period....would rather you just take TAFC/TAD out of Divisional "P.O.S" tracks instead...but don't go making suggestions like changing the length of the "race" like that without the majority vote....meaning "all" Alcohol racers...not just the 13 -15 members at your meeting... too many "Associations" talking to NHRA just confuses them and dilutes our voice.. :eek:

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

the officers of your association vote for a div 1 rep? Is everyone an officer? or do the members not get a vote? I bet NHRA is dying to test a car- Ray Alley crew chief- Graham Light Driver- I'd like to see the results! [​IMG]

5. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

Ahh, this is not a joke you know? This is a real deal...so I think I would wait to bash it...

Solid!
    KB

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

Kevin- no bash there- Read Rob's post again re: A. Gallant being voted as a candidate for Div 1 by the "officers".
    If you think that NHRA will pay an A/FD racer to make test laps and then believe the results. Thats like asking the Tobacco industry for a cancer test and then believing their results. ;)

7. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

Well, without testing where are they going to come up with the data as to what to do to slow the non BAD cars down? This is fair to impose rules without testing the theory to see if it works? I think NHRA is smarter then that! The new TF tires where tested before it was manditory!

To the parity preachers it will be more than fair!

JMFO, but what do I know, I have never been there nor have I done that...."Run a slow BAD and work on a real fast TF team!"

I'm out!
    KB

8. TheBlondeCrewChief

TheBlondeCrewChief Almost A/F

Congratulations on your recent performance improvement in Gunderson's car. The 280mph looked great.

But...

Do you know the difference between a "lobbyist" and a "representative"?

The difference in the influence the two different entities have depends primarily on money/deals made behind closed doors and the wishes of the majority of those affected.

A house divided cannot stand.

I guess I'm just at a loss to understand WHY... if you REALLY wanted to be represented (as opposed to having an avenue to get only your way)... WHY you couldn't support an organization that BEGGED you for your opinion and input.

As for the cost of running an organization of this type.... I'm sorry to inform you... you are clueless.... Good Luck.... I hope you can find enough volunteers who are willing to shell out money for postage and and all the other administrative expenses involved in running an organization EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY. (or is Gunderson footing the bill for all this? :D - hello Mike! )

I belive I'll stay with TARA as my primary hope of input & influence... but in all fairness, I WILL also be glad to join your organization in hope that you can find a miracle cure with a miracle price tag.

You can email me membership info to showgo@cox-internet.com (soon to change as broadband has finally arrived in our hick town).... but ummm..... we're not changing our hairstyle to an afro, lol.

9. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

So now we have 2 completely separate assoc.'s lobbying NHRA for 2 completely opposite agenda's! They'll love that!

10. The Zone

The Zone Member

Sounds Pretty counterproductive to me
    Dean

11. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

King,
    TARA is not lobbying the NHRA for the opposite of what afro wants. In fact, everything TARA discussed with NHRA was a direct result of a survey sent to as many NHRA & IHRA TA/D & TA/FC racers as an address could be found for. Actually, a greater percentage of AF/D racers were sent polls than the percentage of BA/D racers. TARA was started by one BA/D racer and one AF/D racer. All representation (to the best of my knowledge) has been based on all feedback recieved from the membership to benifit all racers competing in the Top Alcohol classes.
    You're right though. By dividing, the racers are losing what little voice we had gained with NHRA.
    I wish we could find the best solution together.
    Thanks,
    Marty

12. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

PS,
    NHRA has radomly been collecting data for the last few years.
    I personally don't like the 1000' idea. Used to bracket race on some 1/8 mile tracks. Want to race the 1/4 now.
    Thanks again

13. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

Marty, why would they do that? All things being equal...are you saying that TARA is more interested in helping the AFD racers than the BAD racers? It would seem so if they sent out "More polls to the AFD vs, BAD" And a few questions I have asked 4 times prior to this time...How many AFD racers belong to TARA? Did non TARA AFD racers get this poll? What was the outcome of the poll? How many AFD racers (as per the poll) ask..no pleaded with NHRA for a rule change?

Maybe my answers were placed on the TARA members only section!

I think there should be a lot of things cleared up if everyone wants all of TAD to flourish don't ya think?

My sources from INDY said the meeting was nothing more than some BAD folks harping about the AFD cars performance.And some AFD taking jabs at some of the BAD racers....this was productive?

Maybe if TARA would update us heathens, we would not have such a mess..

I as well as others (AFD racers) have felt like the organization that was formed...had something in mind as to our future (AFD) It would seem that with the up-coming rules change we were not wrong in our feelings!

I somehow don't think Dave Hirata, Alan Bradshaw, MG, Kevin Brown or any other AFD racer was asking for a rule change....NOT NOW nor Back in the day of "FMD Champion domination" or in the day of the "Secret" blower...JMFO

Point....they want us (AFD) to sign up so when the axe falls on AFD everyone can say..."Sorry guys...but you did have a say/vote!...seems you just got out voted! Sorry"

Marty...By the way....Bitchin' run DOOD!

SOLID!

Kevin

14. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Kevin,
    That's just the way it worked out. The 3 or 4 people digging for addresses just found more AF/D info. Surveys were mailed to all Top Alcohol class member who adresses were found for, not just TARA members. The poll was published, and results were handed out at the TARA meeting with NHRA and TARA Membership meetings.
    I can't answer all questions you ask. Only the ones I, a simple TARA member who volunteered to help where I could, that I have facts for. Check with Tate Branch (President) or Mike Kosky (Vice President).
    The meeting was productive, however when the parity issue was raised there was alot of discussion.
    As stated earlier, TARA was started with 1 AF/D racer and 1 BA/D racer. You're correct if you're assuming that more BA/D racers sent in their dues and took part.
    Communications is a large hurdle in any organization, and everyone knows it needs to improve vastly within TARA. However, they need help from the racers. People with solutions.
    Sorry for the past. I was never part of the NHRA BAD Championship domination, nor did I own any "secret blower" (I was still trying to compete with my roots against the AF/D's and Screw-Blowers. Also, Tony Smith knows I never took part in (or wanted to take part in) slavery. But you want me to pay for it now, even though it's not my debt. Not the way we want America to be, is it?
    There is no axe. Just a paring knife. Hold still, would ya! LOL
    Peace,
    Marty

15. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

Marty,I am not offering a fix it answer...I have NEVER said there was/was not a problem in TAD....That being said...I want things to mellow out as well....BUT after the "New Rules" go into effect....what happens when we (AFD) slow down to a 60? and now we can't qualify...what happens then? Or what if in the next few years we figure out how to run in the 20's again....do we expect a rule change everytime we do well?

I just hope after the "New rules" come down that NO TAD car goes into the 20's for if they do they should be DQ'd...in essence we are being slapped (well soon to be) for working out our combo's...

I feel ya on the roots dealio....I had one too...but back then we were told if you wanna play....step up to a screw blower....Now this is a bit different with what is being played out today.....You went to fast and all the others can't keep up! so slow down....and SLOW DOWN you will!

I just know that after the "New Rules" come down we will be damn hard to even qualify! That is not fair...no matter how you slice it...The only legit bitch the BAD's have at this point is AFD's get the low Q cash and you have not ran a 5.13 or 280 mph. Other than that...the win/loss column looks to be right damn close!

I do wish you the very best Marty, I really do!

I think I must go start on my garage sale list!

Oh and I think with the wheels down at the 330 mark...you should have gone a .31 or .32 JMO Never the less....Bitchin run for sure!

Peace, Kevin :cool:

16. TheBlondeCrewChief

Well, Kev...

(since you mentioned it, I'm gonna pick on ya just a little, but this is in no way intended as a personal attack.. you simply voiced a very common misconception... this is actually addressed to all of us.)

...I guess maybe they somehow managed to track down more mailing addresses for A/F's than they could find for Blown car owners... wow... go figure.

So do ya think maybe they should have just file 13'd some of the A/F addresses until the numbers were even? Let's see... whose address are we gonna throw away.... ah.... Lucas... his opinion probably ain't important....

COME ON!!! Get real.

We're soooooo busy trying to keep that line drawn in the sand, so that we know who's the good guys and who's the bad guys, that we're ignoring the whirlwind headed our way that's gonna change all the rules for line-drawing.

So, here at the 11th hour some A/F guys have decided they could use an organization to represent them.....

Here's the scenario:

Your dimwitted neighbor (every neighborhood seems to have at least one) comes running to your house, pounding frantically on your door. You sigh and slowly go to the door, knowing it's probably something considerably less desperate than appearances. You open the door and say "What now?"

Your neighbor says, "Quick!!! Help me!! I'm going to miss my soap opera!!"

After a moment of bewilderment, you compose yourself to ask, "Why are you going to miss your soap opera?"

"Because I can't lift the TV!!! It's too heavy!" Your neighbor's panic escalates.

Trying to maintain a patient attitude, you ask, "Why do you need to lift the TV?"

There's a moment of silent shock that you should ask such an irrelevant question, then the rest of the story finally surfaces. "Because the toilet is overflowing and flooding the house and it's going to short out the TV!!!!!"

'Aha,' you think to yourself, being a person of reasonable common sense, 'this is a no brainer.'

So, which of the following solutions do you think would most effectively and efficiently solve the problem?

Solution A:
    Call the water department and have them send out someone to turn off your neighbor's water, hopefully before it starts draining into your swimming pool, even tho the flowerbeds of the neighbor on the other side might benefit from the additional watering.

Solution B:
    Put on your rubber boots, walk next door and jiggle the handle, preserving the endangered TV and your swimming pool, but disappointing the flowerbeds.

The real question here is:

Where were you when the list of objectives and priorities were discussed and decided on.... on the phone to someone complaining about someone's skewed sense of what's important? Why didn't you walk in and jiggle the handle?

So can I expect to get my survey from A/FRO this week? Oh.... what?... What do you mean you don't have a list of addresses to mail them out to? Surely it won't take more than a day or two to get a fairly complete list... well, maybe a month or two or three, is more realistic..... oops... that might not give us much time to change the world before the new rule book comes out. :(

So, you didn't want to play in the sandbox if (insert your enemy's name here) was playing in it. Now, recess is almost over and you're trying to scoop up leftover sand to build a second sandbox.

Seems to me it would have been simpler to go ahead and climb into the sandbox (As in: Keep your friends close & your enemies closer.) and maybe you could've molded that organization a little closer to your own image.

If I've stepped on anyone's toes here, all I can tell you is: I know how it feels.

17. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Debi, just to let you know the idea for A/fro had nothing to do with me but I do agree with the guys trying to voice there opinion. Rob has spent his own money and time to help the message that we as racers be it blown or injected don't get slapped for what the whole racing thing is about, going faster. If anyone thinks we have'nt spent our fair share to go fast, guess again. So all the ones who want to throw out the 280 give me a break and tell me you would'nt want to go that fast.If you say yes put a dial in on your tire and raise hell.MG

18. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

Debi, always good to know how you feel about me...I do however have a head ache now after reading your post...as I am somewhat lost...are we drag racing in the toilet know? or is NHRA the water dept.? or are you saying us AFD's are cat shit and should stay burried in the sand box?... [​IMG]

Are you saying that this a "soap opera"? As the goodyear turns! :D

As good as you are...I know there was a message in there....but I am shallow...and damn sure missed it! :confused:

GOD I need a tylenol! :(

Peace tho.... KB :cool:

19. Max Power

Max Power New Member

Two organizations does neither side any good. TARA was started well over a year ago. Why did not the racers who have joined "a/fro" give TARA a shot ? As has been previuosly stated, TARA was started by a Alcohol racer and a Fuel racer.

20. TheBlondeCrewChief

Yeah, Kev, I wouldn't pick on ya if I didn't like ya.

And yeah, I think there's a pretty good chance of getting flushed. We're not likely to be pleased with the fix the water department comes up with.... those guys are paid by the hour, you know, they'll get around to fixing it sometime before 5:00... Good Lord only knows how many trips to the parts warehouse it's gonna cost us.

We (A/F & BAD) have had a year to try to get a handle on consistency with less horsepower. But, you gotta admit, that's awful tough to focus on when you've got a race to win. No one wants to do R&D for free... then share the hard learned results with everyone else. So, it'll be fixed for us with a method that may or (more likely) may not be effective.

It's just the Us vs. Them mentality that discourages me. Something definitely needs to be covered up.... like that line in sand.