96% the new flavor in A/FD

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 19, 2007.

1. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Dean-Can't understand my post? It is in standard english. What is so hard to understand?

Originally posted by Dean:
    Larry Miersch.
    Good crack man. oh ya, because a BAD won last week and it was a great shown of consistancy for Joey and team. (forgot to mention that an A/fueler was the quickest car at 3500 fet (shields 5.33 severance 5.34).
    don't understand your post?

Again, a blown car won this week. Not by default, but by running very strong. They might not have won the battle but they won the war.
    Joey and Mr. Severance are running extremely well. I am very happy for them. It couldn't have happened to a nicer team. One of the lower budget teams outrunning some of the higher budget teams. It was nice to see.

Unlike many blown cars, they are trying some different technology and winning with it.

2. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Great wins and job by Joey and team. I like it too when the blown cars can compete and win.
    Just interested in knowing where you heard other blown cars are not trying different stuff to run quicker.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  3. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Just interested?

Please re-read the post. It says unlike MANY, not all.
    Regards,
    Larry

4. duane shields

duane shields New Member

My comment on the 96% rule

:( It is wrong in my opinion. I am not here to bash. I have been through several rule changes since I, like a lot of others, made the decision to switch to A fuel. I could have stayed with a combination that cost many thousandsof dollars more to run by staying with a blower car. I chose to go to a combination that appeared to be faster and less expensive to operate. And it is. I remember the roots blower drivers fighting a losing battle for years, and the rules being changed to try and keep them competitive with the Whipple and the PSI. I haven't seen too many roots or whipples lately. Natural paths do occur. Remove the restriction on blowers, and give the guys anything else they may want to keep up with the A fuelers. (It's funny most don't want it and will tell me why it won't work, but the C Blower was out there long enough to prove to me that way back then 20's and low 30's were easy). With each change to the A fuelers nitro %, many dollars are spent (dollars I saved from running a blower car, I guess) and many races wasted trying to overcome the attempt to slow us down. This time cannot be made up. None of us will ever accept going slower, just ask the Top fuel classes. We will just have more parts attrition. We will have lost time in testing, and wasted event races, to overcome this new rule. I hope all these Blower cars "in the garage" hurry out. They never do. These rule changes, however, disenchant competitive a-fuelers. Each time a percentage change takes place, a few good cars become uncompetitive. Some don't end up figuring out how to overcome the new obstacles. Most still bring them out, though, in pursuit of trying to figure it out. Each change takes time, I hope no championships are lost because of a mid season change to keep parity within the class. Parity is impossible to have with a car that runs faster with the cooler weather, and slower the hotter it gets. I'm still glad I have a car that goes faster on the track, and is easier on the parts, with much less oildowns. Remember this RPM=$$$$

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  5. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Did the 2 races being held in Las Vegas have anything to do with a BAD winning them?

What "different technology" will they use to go 5.10?

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Very nice post Duane! You are absolutely right RPM=$$$$. I have a TAFC and I have had secret little fantasies for years of the NHRA allowing injected nitro motors in TAFC. Maybe only when I am alone and the house is quiet. I envy the guys who aren't killing parts like the blown cars do. Dave Germain

7. Izzy

Izzy New Member

I have to agree with Duane. I know I will probably get bashed for this. I don't think they should change any rules at this point in the game. If they wanted to do something about the A-fuel cars they should have done it years ago. I love blown cars! They are the coolest in the world! I have debated for a long time on what to do. I have decided to go A-fuel. Everybody has options on what they can do.
    By the way, if anyone wants some blown parts, hurry and call they are going fast.
    Izzy

8. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Now that is a nice post mcgill. :confused:

9. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Confused? Assume that is why the questions weren't answered?

By the way, great job against Lucas at Pomona! That might be TAD race of the year.

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I too wish they had untied the blown car's hands rather than hit the A/Fuelers again. I'm skeptical at the end of the day how much 1% will slow them down. I think now that some teams have found what it takes to run well with less nitro will figure out 96% along those lines. I think the front runner teams will learn how to stay closer on their mix.

From what I understand the decision was made more to limit overall performance rather than parity.

It will be interesting to see where this all shakes out.

11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

What about your car Izz? Mark Woods ran a 5.30 back in like '99 in A-Fuel with a converted Blown car:rolleyes:

12. Darvin Martinets

Just my stupid opinion

I think that this rule change had nothing to do with pairity in the class. I just think NHRA doesnt want us to go any faster than we are. It looks to me that the top fuel cars are at the limit for ever. NHRA has done every thing they can do to keep them from going faster. Why would they let TAD,s start running in the 4,s. What kind of show would they has then if "Sportman" cars run as fast as the pro,s. The rules will change for the blown cars when they get figured out.

13. The Zone

The Zone Member

Like McGill said a blown car won twice at 3500 feet. below 3000 will be a different story MOST every time this year unless an a/fuel car looses at the lower elevation due to a malfunction of some sort.

Duane made as usual a very good post. He does have agrasp and he does know the class as well as anyone, but I still hear that the BAD's just want a chance with technology currently out there.
    I too believe that the new change is due to trying to keep the A/Fuelers away from the 4 second zone. Too bad in my opinion. Every change no matter how small is costly for those cars as well.

Side note, Great final at Vegas Duane and to obviously Joey as well.
    Both teams are great representaives.

Can't wait to see you both up here in the North in a month.
    A teen in the right conditions would be great for either the short line team or the Johnsons.

And if joey can parlay the 5.30's he ran at Vegas into the run here at sea level we may see the first 5.20 pass at a divisional in a number of years if we have ever seen one at all.
    Dean

14. topfuell

topfuell New Member

re: hirata

was at a track being a grunt (not a tuner) for a 5.20 a/fooler yesterday. they ran on the 96% rule. was interesting.

15. Izzy

Izzy New Member

I talked with Brad Hadman and I might back half the car or build a new one. I'm going to decide tomorrow.

16. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Jeff, congrats...I just got home and read the Standard Examiner....I could not believe the news!:D

jOkA!:cool:

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

'natural progression'

before everyone jumps on the bandwagon that a/fuel is the natural progression of the class just like everyone had to switch from roots to screw, let's draw that out.

was/is there any technology out there that could drastically improve the performance of a roots dragster? what's holding them back? nothing. there's a blower design, clutch management, cid and possibly bore spacing that would step the current blown cars up.

also keep in mind switching from roots to screw back in the day didn't require buying a complete turn key car that also required a tuner/crew chief to teach you how to run it.

i wish they would just untie the blown cars hands and leave the a/fuelers alone. how about a 580 cid plus with a c blower and some clutch management. don't limit them until they need to be limited. then instead of slowing one down, if and when the blown car ever developed the advantage, start giving percentage back to the a/fuelers.

like i said earlier though, i think nhra wants to slow the class down before they speed either side up. tad is a good bit quicker than when they pulled top fuel off divisional tracks.

18. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

I am happy if the blown guys can be competive and have a good chance on race day.
    If it means changing the nitro % a couple more times - okay,
    or if it means speeding up the blower cars some more - okay too,
    Nothing better than two Alcohol Dragsters bringing up the r's on the starting line.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  19. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

real world?

We actually need a "real world" discussion on this post. Unfortunately, a majority of the people expressing their opinions on this topic have nothing to do with either type of cars.

Nothing has really changed.

20. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Your right Larry. It hurts though to sit by and read this discussion.
    Bob Holley