96% the new flavor in A/FD

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Info from very reliable sources indicates that A/Fuel Dragsters will be limited to 96% May 1. If there is still disparity after the summer months in August, the nitro percentage will be reviewed again.

Heard it here first....

2. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Why dont they try and speed the Blower cars up. Is it because NHRA does not what the A/F cars running that fast, I really dont think that dropping 1% is going to slow them down very much if any heck Bill or his wife said that they were at 96.5% when they ran the 5.10 and Bill said in ND that he dropped a Cyl 4.5s in to the run, so what is 1% really going to do. Just make everyone mad

Lanny

3. Smokey

Smokey New Member

If he was at 96.5%, then now he will be at 95.5%. I would doubt many try and run exactly on the number because this shit could read a tick higher at fuel check. Play it safe.
    They are getting closer to where these cars belong. The 1% is a good call by NHRA because it is easier to sneak down on the "tipping point" to where these things really fall off, rather than cut the legs out from under everyone with a 3 or 4% reduction.
    Speed the blower cars up? Nope, I don't think so. Not many racers feel this class needs to keep gettin faster. I would bet Marty agrees........

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Hey Mr Anonymous,

I dont know if you are purposely trying to drag Marty into a confrontation or just being a wise a$$, but either way you need to choose your words carefully. There are no personal attacks tolerated on this site at all.

5. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

change?

Interesting. A blown car wins the last national event and we get a change? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

No personal attacks............but moderators can use words openly?

6. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

A-fuelers

I think cutting the % of nitro is a bad idea let them 100% like they did a few years ago. Also let the blower rails more boost then they are now then it should a much more even race. If they do go through with the 96% rule i'm sure the crew chiefs will find away to cram more fuel into the engine just like their top fuel counter parts did and probably will go faster than 5.103. That will rain NHRA parade for sure.:p

7. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

Will, You are my Hero!! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Bill Reichert is a smart dude, and he's pretty "knarly" besides. Known him for a long time and he's a lot better than most of the "club" type alcoholers you see out there. He was good enough to help us get started without pointing us in the wrong direction when we bought our first blown car and he was running blown. Whatever NHRA does, he'll figure it out, just might take a few races. I remember that he went like seventeen years in comp without a win. How can I be mad that things are going his way now, even if it looks like we're dead in TAD. He didn't make the rules and we couldn't afford to change combinations. A greater guy couldn't be #1; I just hope that he drops four or five cylinders when it's my turn to race him. Think I'll put our motor in a T-bucket and go down to the hamburger stand and look for a race. :)

9. Thurston

Thurston New

Tad

Hey Bob, you put a clutch in that car yet????:D

Jim Thurston

10. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Mr. Frankie LoCasio: You need to better explain your statement "purposely trying to drag Marty into a confrontation or just being a wise a$$".
    What I stated was hardly a personal attack.
    To better explain my statement: Marty, along with a number of TAD racers would rather see the NHRA take percentage out of the A/F cars than force the TAD cars to spend thousands of dollars to catch up. That, Mr. LoCasio, is exactly what I felt Marty would agree on.
    I see no call for your personal attack regarding anyones anonymity.

11. michael hall

michael hall New Member

just put a 500 plus engine with more boost, let'em run f/c size engines. let them try to match the AFD's, not back the fuelers down. yes, it would be cheaper to just drop a percent on the AFd' rather than change all the engines on the blown cars, but with the money already being spent, a 5.00 blown car would be wild to see next to a AFD.

12. Crew

Crew Volunteer

5.00 blower cars......seems that would be a little close to top fuel numbers. Other than the pop not much difference. I'm sure NHRA wants to put some separation between the classes. At the current rate, seems 4.90s and 300s aren't too far off.

13. Chris R

Chris R New Member

How about 4speed transmissions for the BADs?
    not cheap but...

///chris

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

Smokey apparantly you don't pay much attention to MArty's posts as he is in fact in favor of allowing new technology
    He is a sample of just one of his many posts on the topic:
    "NHRA has limited us to the old head config, & blowers that we've been running for years. We keep kicking the same horse, while putting more weight on it's back.
    All BAD teams understand how quick and how well the A/Fuelers are running and don't want them to be handcuffed. THey would rather see their combination receive the ability to run quicker will the known technology availble right at this time.
    Larry Miersch.
    Good crack man. oh ya, because a BAD won last week and it was a great shown of consistancy for Joey and team. (forgot to mention that an A/fueler was the quickest car at 3500 fet (shields 5.33 severance 5.34).
    don't understand your post :confused: :confused:
    For everyones information so far in 07 at National events:
    A/Fuel
    5.10 runs =5
    5.20 runs= 26
    5.30 runs=36
    5.40 runs=30
    Total A/fuel = 97
    BAD
    5.10 runs=had seen any yet..........ever (nil zip zilch nein)
    5.20 runs= One (uno)
    5.30 runs=20
    5.40 runs=18
    Total BAD = 39
    Pretty good so far I would say (with sarcasm :rolleyes: )
    (Again I repeat I don't think A/Fuelrs should be slowed down)
    BTW the quickest drivers in both classes plus TAFC will be updated in the next week at Speedzone. I have most runs logged just have to get them in order again.
    Many new additions and improvvements. Guess where most of the improvements have been made.
    In A/fuel and TAFC
    Dean

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  15. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Now that most of the hitters in the Blown cars have quit does it really make any difference?

16. John Haley

Yes it does!

17. underby6

underby6 Active Member

If the change is made and the playing field is leveled....some blown cars will come back and new ones will surface, myself being one. So I would say it does make a diifference.

Brandon Booher

18. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Show of Hands???????

Lets have a show of hands. Everyone participating in this discussion who has either owned or been the crew chief on a TAD that has run in the 20's raise your hand. Before the barbs even start. MINE HAND IS NOT/NOT UP. All I can say is it is easy to have these firm openions about this class. I just wondered what kind of experience was behind some of them. (Not all). It would be an ideal world if these cars had a knob to adjust and lock that NHRA could just come by and set for the speed and et today at Chickenlicks Raceway. I personaly don't think anything they do will help the marginal runners in BAD or hurt the marginal runners in AFD. I am through posting on this subject as there is no since whipping a dead horse!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  19. Crew

Crew Volunteer

20. John Haley

5.29 for me and the horse is far from dead. Even though it seems you would like it to be. :D