8 car field IHRA funny car..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by M Tigges, Nov 22, 2004.

1. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

Thanks Thurston, I'll check it out.

2. Joker Racing

Joker Racing Super Comp

There are three things that need to be considered when jumping from one sanctioning body to the other.

1. The learning curve from a roots to a screw.
    2. The cost to change from a roots to a screw.
    3. Will the learning curve make it worth the cost of the switch?

I understand that IHRA is putting $10,000 a win on the table, but how often are you going to hit that. Also, if IHRA adopted the rules of the NHRA then you would create a group of the top teams that are well funded still shoving out the little guy. You now have to contend with the Payne, Newberry and Manzo teams at every IHRA race they can get to and with the Atchison and Thomas teams going to every NHRA event they can get to, that doesn't leave to many spots for those with smaller budgets. As Will pointed out, by having Payne and Manzo in the IHRA the cost will go up to win, making those two the odds on favorite to win every event and take home the championships in both sanctioning bodies. Something needs to be done for the smaller budget racer to race. Without the start up teams, the sport can't grow. Just my two cents, don't know if it is even worth that.

[ November 29, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Joker Racing ]

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

could this maybe have something to do with it
    2 posts from another web site:

I have heard now from 3 different people that IHRA is going to have 8 car qualified nitro altered show at some of the Night of Fire events. Do you think this is just another rumer?

I do not know of anything about the "Night of Fire" program. I do know two teams from the Chicago area have each bought a "state-of-the-art" chassis and equipment from Chuch Etchells to run Fuel Altered. If this program is on, I guess, they plan to run fast.

4. uwarrior

uwarrior Member

John from Joker Racing. One cost that you did not factor in was travel costs. It's seems that teams who wrote in this thread is from the Northeast part of the United States. We have a choice, go NHRA Division One. From Connecticut, I could attend all 6 Division races and two National Events all within 4 hours travel time.
    From central Jersey the longest NHRA race would be 2 and half hours.
    Or go with IHRA, one race is 3 and half hours, next race is 6 and half hours, than all the other races are double digits in hours. All these hours are one way. Point being NHRA is closer.

As for the "Night of Fire Show" they do race them at National Events but they also run them as booked in one night show at selected IHRA tracks and I think the fuel altereds ran at the non National Event shows.

Paul Weiss

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

buy cheap learning curve call someone like conway, gorr, boggs, drazy etc and buy a fuel system and they'll give you the guidelines to go by to get started and run safe. yeah it costs more up front, but you got to figure in a few things. you drastically lower your chances of blowing up. 2, you'll run faster quicker than doing it on your own most of the time. so your money racing will be to a more competitive experience, rather than spending several outings just trying to get where a well known tuner can get you. those outings are also much more enjoyable. if you just want to do it yourself, then its your fault when it hurts itself, not the screw blower.

if you are really strapped on budget, norm drazy of psi can get you going in the right direction in his owner's manual, and will give you additional information over the phone, probably down to what pill, gear, mag, etc to put in it if you give him some data to put with it once you get it running.

baselines are out there. its been my experience to see people try to get started on free advice and spend more money, frustration and time than the guy who paid a bit more up front and bought a tune up.

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

it's on the IHRA web page today

I guess it is official. :(

7. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Most posts of any topic?

8. z-man

z-man Member

If IHRA has been trying to help this class for the last 5 years why haven't they done anything to help? What happened to the extra qualifing money for their night of fire?What happened to the shoot outs? and we have to pay to get in. At least in NHRA we still don't to pay for car and crew.Could you see NHRA telling John force he has to pay to get in.

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I wonder what they could really do to help? (alky cars in general) if not for federal mogul and LUCAS, where would we be in NHRA? JUST PONDERING.