Wrist pin size

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Comax Racing, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

I am in the process of getting some pistons and rods made and I need some advice on wrist pin size. This is a 540 chevy blown alky. Should be in the 2000 HP range. Micheal at MGP rods suggests a 1.094 dia x.200 straightwall tool steel pin.
    (I'm using one of his top fuel rods for longevity) My piston builder says I should be more than fine with .990 x .200 straight wall tool steel pin. Both companies can build me almost any configuration. I don't want the piston/rod to be extremely heavy but I would like some reliability.

Thanks
    Corey

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Mike is a very smart man......listen to him. sometimes you buy the best parts that are supposed to work, and you still have problems.....go with the 1.094 pin.

3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Piston pins

Thanks for the advice. I going with Mikes advice and going with the 1.094 pin and his "fuel" rod.

Cheers
    Corey

4. anvalca

anvalca New Member

wrist pins

1.094 X 3.125 or 3.250 X .220 or .250 wall would be more adviseable. .200 wall for blown alky is a inadequate for a serious blown alky in any of the materials used to make wrist pins includinng M300.

Anvalca

5. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

pins

I can tell you that all my stuff I ever got from T. Conway had 1.156 / taper wall pins. Every engine builder I ever talked to said the wrist pin area is the weak link. Lighten the rods in non critical areas. And use a bigger pin. Just my thoughts, for whatever it is worth. Everyone has there own ideas. Good luck Don