Whipple back in racing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Whipple Charged, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged New Member

Hello all, I just wanted to drop a line to let you know were developing two new screw compressors for multiple racing classes. Many things have changed over the past 15 years and we've developed a lot of new technology. Were a true twin-screw mfg., as we now design and build all our SC's.

Dustin Whipple
    Whipple Superchargers

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

what will be their swept volume? and im assuming these wont be for the TAD and TAFC classes? but for top dragster and the like?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. Whipple Charged

We won't release that data until it's approved, but as before, its the biggest performance supercharger ever built. Again, there will be 2 versions, one will be up for NHRA approval. We've researched each SC out there, approved and not and the A980 was still very hard to compete with. We know the pros/cons from before and have addressed them. The real issue is if you actually calculate the liters per rev/swept volume at a therotical 100% efficiency, there is a large descrepency so the rpm levels of the compressors will need to be addressed if a "level of playing field" is enforced. Example, the early Whipple was a 9.8 liter (hence 980) with a max SFI approved rpm of 1.70 ratio (NHRA held this to 1.6). The PSI is smaller in displacement, which is why it was at the time, NHRA approved for 2.25 over (now 2.28 on the dragster and 1.92 on the FC). The 206 "D" is larger than a 4.9 liter.... Ideally, if there were rules for SC's, then they should know a superchargers theoritical displacement (tested by outside firm or with CAD data to back up info), and make SC's "comparable" at that point (equal in therotical max displacement), then the one that does that the most efficiently, or most cost effective, or safest, or whatever the reason may be, is the choise of a race team. If this was done before, we would still be in racing.

I think in the end, this will be great for racing, as it will help control prices, safety and will give racers multiple options.

Thanks,
    Dustin

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Dustin who?

I thought you got married and moved to Hawaii?

:D

5. Bob Perkins

Bob Perkins New Member

order in

ship me one asap,

6. Whipple Charged

Randy, ha ha, that certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Haven't been to Hawaii in years, but I'm still in Fresno :rolleyes:

7. Whipple Charged

What are you running with now?

8. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Im all in i would like to try one and look at the facts.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i will be a guinie pig for one

10. jeffj

jeffj Member

buyer beware

You have got to be kidding me. After scr*wing every whipple owner you had by refusing to recertify the blowers you had out there you think you will be trusted to reenter the drag racemarket????? Big brass ones buddy.
    You dumped all whipple owners because of your dispute with NHRA and you should be treated by the drag race community the same way you treated the racers.
    Jeff Johnsen

11. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Good call Jeff, I was going to ask about recerting them. As I recalled that is what lead to the end of the Whipplechargers before. I was told that the license to recert them cost more than there were Whipples to be recerted. I am not sure if whipple had something to do with the cost of the recertifying license but why would anybody spend a bunch of money on a blower that can't or WON'T be recertified? Dave Germain

12. jeffj

jeffj Member

Buyer Beware

Thanks for the reply Dave; as the old addage says, what goes around comes around. Whipple had a beef with NHRA regarding a fair overdrive as compared to the PSI. They were probably somewhat correct but they compounded the problem by refusing to recert the blowers that were out there as some stupid protest to NHRA. Meanwhile they slaughtered their own customers, making their blowers worth nothing due to lack of an SFI tag.
    As an owner of one of those units that Whipple reduced to scrap value, I feel qualified to comment; any new product of theirs is worth exactly the same to me..........zero.
    It goes like this, reputation zero, new product value zero. Buyer beware.

13. Creech

Creech Member

Who wants to go on a diet and figure out how to take 100 pounds off the car???

14. clarky

clarky New Member

Can we will be the australian distributor if Garry Phillips alows us ha ha.

I suck at putting photos on the net.

goto Graham clarke on facebook (look for a bad head and red race team shirt ha ha) Australia to check out our whipple powered dragster and altered. Best et 5.99 @244mph on super soft tune.

Clarky

15. Whipple Charged

Actually, it was far deeper than this. Because of the other mfg's modifying SC's after the "freeze", and after updated Whipple's were not allowed, we couldn't give away a SC. In 1 year, we didn't sale 1 supercharger except for sand drags and what not. No new overdrive rules, etc., we were hung out to dry. SFI and NHRA rules at the time stated that we had to spin test the superchargers every 2 years, even though no new development or changes have been made. We felt this was wrong, since this came about from the rules and lack of enforcing. So we had to spin $50,000 to spin test the SC, when we don't have a business of selling. We discussed this with SFI and NHRA, we made this very clear. Let us SFI inspect/approve the blowers in the field, no new units. Clearly, were qualified, been doing it for years, clearly no changes had been made that warranted a new test. The test was suppose to be what we were currently selling, but we never made another 980 once sales dryed up. Why should one build a $8000 SC, run an elaborate $50,000 test to certify SC's that you already ran the test for? We had already proven, multiple times that everything survived, and testing a new unit, compared to a used, older unit is really no comparison.

The fact is, we went far and beyond most others. When we came out with the "big port" housing, ones that were running near 50psi lost hp (was better at 30-40). We recalled every one on our own dime and switched them out, 30 of them. Roots mfg's came out with 100 different designs, some worked, some didn't, there were no guarantee's. Every racer out there had the same blower, no custom grinds on discharge ports, etc. We came out with the 360deg enclosed rotor for performance and safety, as it's safer than the exposed rotor. Another mfg. took over 60 deposits for SC's and many never got there money back, yet many look at them as the only choice.

You certainly don't have to believe me and you have your right to your opinion, I respect that. But we never left racers high and dry. NHRA, with our ok gave the racers 3 years between certifications.

Thanks,
    Dustin

16. Whipple Charged

It was $500 to recertify the SC at the time, plus parts/freight. Once SFI revoked our "approval" status, you could only buy a used unit with longer cert or PSI.

Thanks,
    Dustin

17. Whipple Charged

The A980 was 32lbs heavier with the injector and bag. New SC is 21lbs lighter.

Dustin

18. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

21lbs lighter than what a PSI??? Cause that blowers a tank. Its like taking the motor out of one of the imports i have built and putting it ontop of a real motor.

19. Whipple Charged

We never refused. It was up to NHRA and SFI. We said that if they won't change the rules and keep us in business, then we won't make another to sale. They said no way. So we said we will recertify them, but SFI and NHRA both said, you have to spin test it to get your SFI approval ability. This again did not make sense. We never refused, we fought very hard to not have to spin $50,000+ to recertify blowers. That was the hurdle. We certainly wanted to, but spending that type of money with no income was hard to justify, especially since the logic was so backwards.

Thanks

20. Whipple Charged

No, I wish, but thats tough, PSI is a great piece, no extra meet anywhere. The new Whipple is 21lbs lighter than the A980. 11lbs more than the PSI 206D. The SC is physically bigger.

Dustin