What if?????

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by pennance, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pennance

pennance Member

I had a courious thought. We all know that the future for a pro spec engine is in the works. Lets play if but dog rabbit and take it a step further.

What would the world be like if supercharged nitro went to a spec motor and allowed injected nitro to run in the class also????

In my simple mind im thinking it solves some of the problems today.

First it would be a simple way of having slower cars in top fuel automatically, still with the crackle of nitro. I mean really if you let the cubes,weight loss and percentage back into a/fuel, how much slower would it be then a spec supercharged motor?

Second it allows NHRA to relax some of the silly rules it has on A/fuel to slow them down to compete with alcohol. And third it allows the alcohol guys to race unmolested by a/fuel.

In even simpler terms why piss off the pros slowing them down and pissing off the alcohol/afuel guys slowing them down in response to slowing down the pros. Just piss one group of racers and make happy the other two. Top fuel grows in entrys and creates a more diverse field.

I am not ignorant to the fact the parody problem in alcohol now will move to t/f but maybe an understanding that parody will be a second consideration to the a/fuel cars and they understand that up front would smooth that issue.

I also feel that a/fuel cars that do not have run slips putting them within 5 tenths
    of E.T. of the rest of the T/F field should not be allowed to compete in a national event.

Just an idea??? Ur thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. pennance

pennance Member

?

200 people have read this post and not one response? am i crazy about this or all you all speechless at the thought?

3. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

Whats Top Fuel without a blower?And like you said it does nothing to take care of the parity issue of two different cars in one class.

4. KBuz

KBuz New Member

I'm not sure if the excitement level would be there if you got rid of a blown nitro car. An a/fuel car in relations to a top fueler doesn't have the same sound effect. The sheer power of a blower and nitro is outstanding compared to all else in motorsports

If I had my say, I would like to see the fuelers just lose one magneto. If you think about it, lose one mag you have to lose one fuel pump because you can't burn the fuel. The Nostalgia Fuelers run small c.i., one mag, 6-71 blowers and still run 260mph. I think if you left the big blower and 500ci you will still see 300 mph runs in under 5 seconds. This is my 2cents for slowing them down, however pushing engines to expiration each run is not safe and I think a rule to limit that should be included. Maybe they could do like NASCAR or INDY where they motor you qualify with is the motor you race with. Enough with this swapping engines each run...the block you make your qualifying run with is the block you race with. If you are forced to switch there should be a penalty such as go to the bottom of the ladder (not DQed but to #16), or during eliminations lose lane choice or perhaps a minor points penalty (like 10 points if you win the round instead of 20)

Just throwing that out there....

5. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

first off, the "spec" motor isn't to far off from an a/fuel motor except the "pro" version has a low compression and blower and with the blower, it won't be possible for a straight injected one to keep up. IHRA tried allowing them to run larger cubic inches and clutch management and those who tried gave up with poor results showing it won't work. second is you will never "NOT" piss someone off in the world of drag racing when there are multiple choices to choose from in the same class. I personally like the idea of a spec motor. most of the parts they are changing for the size are throw aways like the rods, pistons, sleeves, and cranks so the change over cost won't be as bad as you would think in the long run. plus I don't think there will be as many tire smoking runs with the spec motor. Remember, these are just my opinions:D

6. pennance

pennance Member

bruce i respectfully disagree

When they were running 100% and 96% runs in the twentys and low teens were right there. Let them have 500 c.i and 2150 min weight and 100% and hold on! 4.80 is not an absurd number at all and thats where i figure is where the spec motor is headin to. And trust me ALOT has been learned since those numbers have been laid down.

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

they DID have 100% and 500 inches in IHRA.

8. pennance

pennance Member

I dug this up after your last post. Reading the article Settles thinks like i do. Reickert ran 5.10 on Nhra rules 4 years after this was written. What would he have done with IHRA rules?

http://www.competitionplus.com/03_25_2004/afuel.html

At least three of the cars were running engines in the 421-inch range at San Antonio, but many are upgrading to 500-inch motors for the rest of the season, which should put the cars into the 4.8-second range. Veteran A/Fuel Dragster tuner Dave Settles has even gone on record by commenting on Dragracingonline.com that these cars could be in the four-second range in the near future. With the cars tipping the scales at 2,000 pounds with no rear-end gear limitation and liberal clutch perimeters, the mythical level playing field could be close to reality in the near future.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009