TY-Drive/ Quick Drive/ Bruno and Lock Up converters

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 57Chev, Jan 30, 2017.

1. 57Chev

57Chev Member

I'm looking at upgrading my Lenco Drive to a Lock up Unit. What's the latest combo that's working in Screw Blown or Roots Blown Cars? What Drive Unit and which Converter?

Thanks
    Ray

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Beware you better own stock in your choice of ring gears. As they last 4-10 runs with a lock up.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

As far as I know right now there is only the Chance NSX billet lockup converter for blown promods.Coan is working on one but it is not out yet. Also pretty sure the only thing that can control the lockup is either a Rossler based TH400 or a Bruno drive. Never heard of getting 4-10 runs out of ring gears. Like to hear more about that. Are we talking about 10" ring gears in a Strange Ultra Case or something like that.

rb0804 likes this.
  4. jay70cuda

Tutterow people told me toms 10 in gear last 10 runs. Stretches the pinion right out of them. Us gear last 4-6. When it locks up 3-6 times a run just plays hel on the gear. A clutch or converter never locks up 1 to 1. They said pro extreme cars carry 3 built center sections with them every weekend. All chances are they'll use them all. Just brutal.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is the rear end failure caused when you pulse the lockup converter or just straight lockup?

6. jay70cuda

No idea. The thought of that alone scared me away. When told you have to order rear gears by the pallet. I knew I was over my head.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Quick drive offers a lock up version of their unit as well.

One conversation with some PX/PB Crew Chiefs about ring gear life was their theory was it was because of only having a 7 tooth pinion not taking the one to one load of the lock up. I took it at face value, but with this thread, I looked it up and all of the 4.29 gears we run in TAD/TAFC are 7 tooth pinions as well.

I haven't been around a lock up converter, but I would guess the damage is done at the 1-2 shift (with a 2 speed). I would think some of the teams out there have tried to slip it through the bottom of the shift.

Years ago as an early teenager, my dad was racing a blown alcohol 2wd mud truck. Turbo 400's were the norm for a 250' mud drag. My dad's truck had dominated for a long time, but there was a few hemi's starting to catch up with the Rodeck. My dad and the owner went and got an early TF 3 stage lock up glide clutch. They put a 3 speed lenco with dummy shafts in it to make everyone think they were shifting. It was a game changer, even on a 250' track.

In the classic way my dad explained things to me to understand, he said the difference in a torque converter and a clutch was like the difference in pulling on something with a rope or a chain. With the rope, there was some give. With the chain, there was none.

Next week, I'll share the acetylene torch analogy of rich and lean....

8. TOL

TOL Active Member

I don't understand the underlined yellow part ?....

Also, for the original poster, what's a TY-Drive?....

9. 57Chev

57Chev Member

It's a new Converter Driver that is out. Not sure how to post the link on here. I don't think they have a web page but they have a Facebook page. Ty-Drive.

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

The Ty-Drive is a converter drive unit done by Todd Tutterow's son Ty. I think it is loosely based on a Bruno drive, but it is billet and has a lock up option. Pretty trick piece from what I have seen.

I'm sure what he means by locking up 3-6 times is they probably lock it up, unlock it, lock it back up, etc. So it probably is the equivalent of 6 or 7 shifts per run. If there is a corresponding rpm drop or gain, it's working that gear pretty hard, especially if it's a hard 1 to 1.

11. TOL

TOL Active Member

Why would they lock/unlock so many times?....

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This last weekend at the US Nationals at Bradenton Ty Tutterow was side by side with Adam Flamholc into second gear until Ty locked up his converter and shot ahead. Pretty amazing to watch. Congratulations to Ty for winning the race

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

If I had to guess they are running a 3 speed with it, unlocking at the bottom of the shift. They might be locking early in the run, then unlocking through the shake zone.

14. TOL

TOL Active Member

So if a person was to lock it and leave it locked, then the ring gear life issue would probably go away? Or, PWM the apply force like the OE vehicle manufacturers do so that the apply is not such a harsh on/off bang?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. greenracing

greenracing Member

I think they need to unlock it before the shift(s) to calm the shifts down.

16. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

If you leave it locked for the shift on the th400 type transmission it will break the transmission. Some types of lockups take a bit of time to release also, it's not instant from the time you remove power.

17. TOL

TOL Active Member

How much of a difference are we talking here, run for run?.......