Trans cooler

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Blownalky, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Running blown alcohol with an automatic, 6.50 quarter. What are the pros and cons of running a trans cooler vice just a bypass? Trying to save some weight and complexity. Would rather run without it, have been running with it in the past. Have a trans brake but don't leave on it, just foot brake it.

2. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i always ran a loop with hard lines at the tranny. no cooler way back i tried it with a cooler and had line to the cooler problems LEAKS and that causes some problems but they probley make better lines and coolers these days just my thoughts

3. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

i was going to run without one too but was told that its no so much for the cooling but as a chamber to allow the fluid to settle down before it goes back in.apparently at the outlet the fluid is quite foamy.i used a heat sink type aluminum cooler.it weighs very little and needs no airflow to cool.also my converter guy said the fluid should be cycled out of the converter and cooled after a run so as to avoid heat damage.

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

5. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

I have more money than common sense, so I just loop the lines. This stimulates the economy.

Never had any issues.

6. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

I used Pat Donovan torque link coupled to lenco cs-2 3 speed , i had some converter heat problem with a regular cooler , then a put B&M p/n 70355 , this is what they call ``transmission fluid consistency system`` . with this cooler type tank , i can add 4 qt more trans oil , and it completely solve my overheating problem , converter oil is at 135-140 deg. after a 6,25 sec. run

Claude

7. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

B&M Cooler

I agree,

We also run the B&M (resevour type) cooler, its heavy when you consider the tank, 4qts of fluid, hose, quick disconnects, bracket etc. but it sits over the rear axle so its not that bad. As far as complexity all we need to do is loosen the 4 frame clamps and 2 qiuck couplers and the whole deal comes right off with no leakage.

Most conventional coolers will never have the capacity to remove much heat during burnout, staging and the run. They work o-k on bracket cars where the car is driven back to the pits after a run, but on a dry block the cooler only cools 1/2 qt of fluid while the car sits awaiting the next startup.

We run an air throttle on our car now so we are creating a little more heat than you during the stage but I would think a cooler would still make the trans happier.

8. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

you guys cracking on me cause i said some thing about using a loop instead of a cooler i know a cooler is better if you dont have any problems but in my blown fiat with a power glide i only ran a loop and i never had any trouble no broken shafts and no burnt up parts but if you running back to back no way to cool it put a cooler on it

9. Slayer

Slayer Member

I think most of the heat is built up during the staging and then bringing the rpms up before launch. I run a Bruno and try to not bring the rpms up until the last possible moment. I also made a deeper pan to hold more fluid. Seems to work so far. The B&M sounds like a good idea too.

10. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

On the first programs with the Donovan drive , the capacity of oil was about 6 qt , at the end of the 6.50 runs the converter temp was 240-260 deg. range . I reworked the oil pan and add B&M tank and now i have 11 qt of royal purple syntetic automatic oil . Now on low 6. sec run , with long burnout and back-up ,temp after the run is 130-140 deg.

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

dial in

if you're running a dial in class you might want to look hard at running one of the resevoir coolers. like everything else, you want to maintain the same trans temp from run to run if possible, and it will be very hard to do so without a cooler.

when we ran the lencodrive fc, we never needed it, but we discussed a pump that would circulate the fluid in and out of the pan back at the pit.

12. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Lots of good info guys, appreciate all the input. Looks like the nod goes to the cooler over the bypass line for longevity. Have a spot right over the rear for a cooler so I'll investigate using that.

13. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

Transmission cooling pans

The transmission cooling oil pans from Derale and TransDapt work wonders as they cool the fluid after it leaves the converter and supply cool fluid to the pump greatly improving pump life. They also increase fluid capacity. Pulling cool fluid from the pan instead of running it through a cooler has no line pressure drop or plumbing problems.
    I have many customers running this style pan and a hard line loop as it is safe because it prevents fluid leaks. None have ever had any cooling problems with their transmissions, these are guys running low 7's with trans brakes to guys running street strip bracket cars running round after round.
    So this is a great option for safety and reliability plus super easy to install.
    One note is on the 4 inch extra deep versions we have had to make our own bottom strap for the trans shield.

14. thjts

thjts New Member

Do you think it's worth trying? I'd been thinking of something like that as well, but not sure if the fluid can get through the trans and convertor (without the engine running) to be effective. I agree, consistent oil temperature is important.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  15. jackattack

jackattack Member

bump to 2013

so whats everyone using nowadays as we are 5 yrs down the road from when this thread was started,other than external pumps/coolers for in the pits whats everyone using???

16. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

What kind of transmission are you using?

17. jackattack

jackattack Member

rossler 210hd ,blown alky chev,in a quick bracket application,doorcar

18. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I can't speak for the rossler trans, but I've run a power glide for years with a blown hemI and have never ran a cooler, only a loop line in the cooling circuit . We run hard and fast also..... Been as quick as 3.69 in the 1/8th in a dragster, never been over 180 deg trans temp. My street car runs over 210 deg trans temp lol !!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  19. Mac

Mac Member

I used to run coolers but always cracked them after some tire shake. We tried mounting them many different ways with no luck. I finally said no more coolers before I break one and it sprays fluid on the slicks and I go for a ride. My car didn't have great airflow to the cooler anyways. I don't burn stuff up and go faster every year with my glide with NO cooler. I just cool it between rounds with a ice chest cooler I build

20. Blown5402

Blown5402 Member

Promod No Cooler

Promod No Cooler, do not want any extra lines to leak or break with a chance of oil under the tires. Last race, 7 passes, no problems, just use a good brand of Trans fluid and some synthetics will run 25 degrees cooler, run a deeper pan with extra fluid, and we were less than 125 degrees before the next round, this works for us, but we have an air blower to help if needed, Thanks! Jim