Tom Howell Retires

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Barry Ferriolo, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Barry Ferriolo

Tom Howell's retirement was recently posted on DRO. Many racers didn't know who the talented tuner of the Jay Blake/Todd Veney - Follow a Dream TAFC was. That's because Tom is a quiet person. Never one to show anger when things weren't going right, and never one to brag about going home with a Wally. He would be the first to offer suggestions if I was having problems getting my car down the track and the first to shake my hand on the line after we made a good pass.
    There are illnesses that can rob us of our abilities. But there is no illness, no disease known to man that can take away who we were and who we are. Tom Howell was and is a true gentleman.
    Tommy, I will miss seeing you at the track and I will miss those late night conversations. Barry

2. Chuck Anderika

3. Chuck Anderika

Could not have been said better. It won't be the same without Tommy at the races.

4. scott hall

scott hall Member

Tommy has been the first guy I have gone to for the "Why did this happen..." or "Have you ever seen this before...." and he often had a answer or an observation that helped out. We are at a point in Drag Racing that the guys with many years of hardened experience are no longer at the track and its creating a gap that can never be replaced. When it comes to crew chiefs and tuners from New England, Tom Howell is at the top!!!
    Thank You Tom for everything...and I hope that I can do for others what you have done me....

Eric Lourie likes this.
  5. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

I don't know Tom personally, but my last track memories will be last fall at Reading, instructing how to strip a damaged shortblock to a crewmember in the door of the Permatex trailer, or exchanging numbers with Fred. Stop by as a spectator & say hello in 2016 Tom.

Chris Saulnier - Team Tigges
    Mechanic Falls, Maine

6. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

I finally figured out my login. It wasn't an ALS thing it was just an OLD thing.

Thanks for the very kind words. I met some of the greatest people in the alcohol pits.

Tom