Titanium valve lapping

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TWD, Apr 18, 2009.

1. TWD

TWD Blown alky

Hi,

We have a minor leak on one of the valves and normally we would use lapping paste to correct the problem. Only problem here is that I was once told never to use grinding paste with titanium valves. Anybody know what the story is behind that?

Thanks,
    Marcel

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I hope you are wrong...I have been doing it for over 15 years..Dave

3. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Me too, haven't had any problems

4. TOL

TOL Active Member

Should be fine lapping Ti. The only possible downside is if your Ti valve was originally coated in any fashion, then you could potentially wear through the coating, but you'd have to do the same if you ever refaced a valve. So I guess it all boils down to if you have to have a particular coating against your seat material of choice, then lap real careful. If no coating, then lap at will. Have you seen the BAE oscillatory (sp?) air powered lapping tool? I got to use one not long ago, and what a great tool it is!

5. TCMN

TCMN New Member

6. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

When you discuss valve lapping with high end head porting shops they about throw up when you mention the idea. With all the high tech cutters today everything is cut to a precise micro finsh in these shops looking for the last hp. But the truth is when you discuss it on the side they admit to lapping once in awhile.
    I think the difference is, with NA engines your always looking for that last hp, in a blown engine the material and seats are rattling around so much under high loads it an't normal. So I still lap when needing to touch it up and it's never seemed to have presented a problem. I also heard the cylinder head guy on Schumacher say that was part of his routine, lapping exhaust valves between rounds. (This is in reference to titanium valves.)

Blessings.......Ron Clevenger.

7. TWD

TWD Blown alky

Thanks guys.
    We will be lapping as usual.

8. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

oh no

we have done it that way for some time now are moter bilder would not let us use it if it were wrong and buy the way he said he has had that dam tube for 3 years and i went and used it all UP:p