Timing help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Danny Humphreys, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Danny Humphreys

Would like some input. Running a blown alky chevy w/ whipple and bac-man heads 557 inches. Last year w/ 45 lbs of boost and 9:1 compression I ran 33 degress of timing, I have bumped compression this year to 10.8 and not sure where to start w/ timing. Thinking maybe 25 degrees btdc. Any thoughts on that?

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

depends on mag and mag drive or trigger. maybe some of the chevy/aj guys can help.

3. was R4K

was R4K Member

MSD 44 requires less lead than Mallory super Mag-
    Cylinder pres. is the key. MSD will fire under higher cyl pres conditions.

4. Danny Humphreys

Ok let me throw a monkey wrench into the works. ignition is a MSD 10 electronic igntition.

5. Will Hanna

Staff Member

go buy a 44 or at least a 20 for that thing! need some juice for the cylinder pressure that whipple is making.

6. Danny Humphreys

I've had others tell me that, but the MSD-10 puts out 700 mj spark @ 14.4 volts and i run a 16 volt setup on mine. Hasn't failed to fire yet. We'll see with the increased compression.

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i'm not going to sit here and claim to know the numbers, but i'm pretty sure a msd 20 or 44 is more than that.

its not about failing to fire, its about better and more fire. the hp that reaches the flywheel is net horsepower from force produced - force used (actually torque). having more ignition will help cut down on force used on the compression stroke because you don't have to run as much lead, so you're not having as much preignition. not to mention being able to burn more fuel, making more hp on the produced side.

of course its easy for me to sit here and spend your money. i barely afford to run my sc dragster, so i can understand if that's what you have and sticking with it. however, i think it would be a big plus for you. i think a msd 44 with a six shooter or better yet the new digital box would be the ideal set up in the outlaw 10.5 racing you do. make it a pig down low, then let it eat on the big end. i hear the turbo guys talk about how they make the big top end charge, a properly tuned screw blower car should blow their doors off.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Also one of the problems on using the MSD-10 in that combination is that you are probably suffering from misfire and do not realize it. A friend of mine changed is blown altered from a MSD-10 to a Mag 44 and sped up .3 seconds with no other change. He thought his car was working OK with the 10 until he got a good deal on a used 44.

9. Tad117

Tad117 Member

just another point make sure you have enough fuel with that much of a compression change.

10. bernie

bernie New Member

We run a 372 inch 5 second chevy at 10.8 but with a PSI at 50lbs The msd 10 is no good for us as they lose cylinders. we run 20s which are just fine. We run 30 deg lead, Keep an eye on the bearings and make sure it has enough fuel, A racepak or similar is one essential item.

11. Danny Humphreys

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm taking her out tonite for some shakedowns. I've already increased the fuel and will be checking the egt's for dead cylinders.

12. DAVEQ

DAVEQ New Member

I have been running a chevy with big chief heads and a msd mag 20 with 11.3 to 1 compression and i can tell you that 33 is to much for my set up . Toward the end of last year we bent push rods and wrist pins . Didn't run enough to figure it out last year but we will try 26 or 28 in a couple of weeks when we go out for the first time . Let us know what happens .

13. was R4K

was R4K Member

MOST FUEL + LEAST ADVANCE = GOOD! ;)

14. Danny Humphreys

Well i have good news. thanks again for the input, qualified #1 w/ a 4.73 @ 154 had the field covered by a full tenth, but went up in smoke first round, came back and twaeked a little and went a 4.64 @ 162 mph on 10.5's. Not bad considering the record is a 4.61. and that was with only a 1.22 60 ft. (normal 1.14-1.16) ran 28 degrees and wound up running the same fuel tune as last year, guess we were still pretty fat last year, but the lower compression let us slide by. the msd 10 still seems to be hitting on all 8. should be able to bust into the 4.50's this friday. we'll see.

15. Lethal Threat Racing

I have been watching this with Great Interest.

I have a Blown BBC 509 with a 14/71 billet SSI

Run 30 lbs of boost and run a front drive dist with a programmable MSD 7 box with boost control.

I was told it could not be done. The car is 2470 lbs runs 106 60ft and 4.40 1/8 163 mph 6.70’s at 204+ it is power glide car.

This is the scoop I know.

The HVC II coil is a true 2amps to the plugs, MSD claims the 44 mag is only 1.75 amps the 20 is like 7/8 of an amp and the 4 mag is only like 450 JH.

This is the big deal right here. the Mags fire about 10 deg longer than an Elec Ing. This will let it burn more fuel in some cases. I run 30 deg of timing and have not tried to use the boost curve yet and to date had no problems.

I did learn you must run an electrode that is not a cut back type.

What plug and heat range have you guys been running.

I have been runing the Autolite 3932 I think it is way to cold.

Thanks

Todd Martin

16. bernie

bernie New Member

MSD 7 & the blown vette
    We did a lot of dyno pulls on our blower set up and early on tried the msd 7 ignition for several pulls using new and used boxes as we thought it could work. We found more power and torque with a mag.

17. Lethal Threat Racing

Was it the new Digital Programmable 7 box?
    Part # 7535? Any hints on a plug selection on a blown chevy. Thanks for the info.

18. bernie

bernie New Member

No not the same MSD # It was a while ago that we did the dyno pulls and was so unsuccesfull that we stuck with the mags and now run a MSD 20 We have run a best of 5.83 in Malta at legal weight on a bad bad track at 90% humidity & 100F . On the plug part # :: In Europe the part numbers are different from US so can't help you there, if I give you our numbers it could screw you up and cost you a lot of $$$

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think somebody went off on the wrong track somewhere by rating ignition spark power in amps. The power of the actual high voltage that creates the spark in the plug is measured at the gap in millijoules (mJ)not in amps. This is a measurement of stored enery and this is what allows that spark to jump in extreme cylinder conditions and pressure. Given that here is the listing of MSD systems and power in millijoules.....

Mag 44 - 950 millijoules
    Mag 12 - 300 mJ
    MSD 10 - 700 mJ
    MSD 8 - 330 mJ
    Digital 7 - 190 mJ
    7AL3 - 160 mJ
    7AL2 - 110 mJ
    Digital 6 - 135 mJ
    6AL - 120 mj