the new 'lockup' clutch - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

whats your thoughts and what have you heard on the new 'non lockup' lockup clutch??

i'll let a few racers weigh in then i'll comment

2. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

once everyone gets it all that happened is another expense we dont need.

3. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

I sent NHRA an email today asking them to outlaw the damn thing. I agree with Mark, it is NOT needed. Just much money that doesn't need to be spent. The only one who is going to make out on this deal is AFT.
    My suggestion is, unless you want to spend $12,000 then you better get on the phone or email your thoughts.
    Oh and by the way, the clutch you have now, it will be junk in a few months and be worth nothing. So don't think your going to be able to sell it and make up for some of the cost of the new AFT.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy New Member

Can someone point me to some information on these clutches as I have no idea as to what you are taking about bout I am interested.

5. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I understand why there working on it,but we just got a screw on the car because they left the rules alone. My family and I have been working hard to make the switch to run the psi.
    Even if cost isnt an issue you wont be able to get one. Special discs floaters i can see it now $$. whats NHRA care it legal the way its designed.

6. R4K

R4K New Member

WHAT A DEAL= 13,000.00 $$$ for an AFT hat? and a/fd into the 4s.!!! :(

7. '66 Vette

'66 Vette New Member

I think the $13,000 number that is being thrown around is a bogus number.

As for A/FD, I would seriously question it being allowed for use in one of those cars. Besides, I don't know if it would be of much help for those guys, as their RPM increases are minimal compared to the blown guys.

From what I understand, you will be able to run the clutch on the lighter side so that you can allow it to slip enough to get through low gear while running a higher multiplication transmission. Then, when you get to 9,000 or where ever, the other fingers will overcome the limits and will apply additional load to help lock up the clutch on the top end. Which, could help to limit the average RPM of the big TA/FC motor all through high gear.

Could that be a good thing?