Taylor Motorsports Parachute Tethers approved

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Just got a call from Dennis Taylor of Taylor Motorsports Products and he let me know that their parachute tether, part number 108 just got NHRA approval.

The tether kit is $80 each and you must have two tethers running through both chutes.

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Question
    one tether per chute
    or
    both tethers have to go thru each chute

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

The way it was explained to me you must have both tethers running through both chutes, regardless who's tethers you run.

4. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

what

Will I think it's one tether per chute it would be almost impossibly to do what you explained.

5. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

Mike, both tethers through both chutes.

DT

6. ITS IN MY BLOOD

So basically the only way the two teathers will feed threw two chutes is, ..if both
    chutes are attached to two anchors that are mounted side by side,...Correct...???

Vic

7. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Dennis
    are not the tethers strong enough for one tether per chute "eye"
    that we have to put both thru each eye
    that makes me think if both "tear free" both tethers won't hold

8. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Dennis, are there pics on your site now that it's approved ? Is there a one size fits all deal ???? Where do the tethers mount or bolt thru ?

9. Dennis Taylor

The Tethers are mostly a 1 size deal. Of course we will make anything if this does not work. NHRA has asked that you mount both tethers through both chutes regardless of manufacture. The load on the mounting point is way more than any of us thought. Then add in more for a saftey margin and this is what we end up with.

DT

10. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

tethers

so do you run from a rear axle upright left side,, thru the first chute loop, back thru the second chute and return to the same bolt position on the other side of the rear plate? Then the second tether takes the same route from the opposite side of the chassis and back to the same bolt on the right axle plate?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  11. ITS IN MY BLOOD

So for all to understand and for clarification of the new tether rule,.
    .Looking for an answer...

The tether rule is being mandated because the anchor points on the rearends are failling.?????? or are the chute shroud line loops...???

If the anchor points on the rearends are failing and ripping the chute shroud line loop, what good is having a tether threw the loop of the chutes, if it will just be tore off anyways from the anchor point failing...things that make you go hmmmmmmm

If the anchor mount to the rearend is failling, why are those not getting fixed...????

If its an issue that the shroud line loop is tearring, why are those not being reinforced.

eitherway,..something new to take into consideration when returning from a run...
    1) you should all have removable chute packs that come off from your body with your chutes, otherwise it is no longer just a case of pulling the two shroud line pins from the rearend when you go to lift the body off.
    2) Any time you need to remove the chutes, or body, you now have 2 more bolts to unscrew to remove the two tether lines from the loops of the chutes along with the chutes from the anchor mount pins or bolts.

I wonder if others feel the same way about this as I do,..I dont like the idea, I THINK THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS, with those cables binding or chaffing the shround lines along with when the chutes blossom and give tug with the tether sandwiched in between the anchor 3/8 pin and the rest of the mount something is going to wear out abnormally or pre maturely and rip,..THE CHUTE.

Just thinking out loud.

Vic

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

The tethers have a 50/50 chance of keeping the chutes attached to the car. Should just the chute mount fail (but the looped shroud lines stay intact) the tethers will keep ahold of the chutes. Should the looped shroud lines brake the tethers are useless.

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

thibking out loud here
    so dont kill the messinger
    maybe we need the chutes to have an extra "eye" added maybe 6" from the chute mount just for the tethers to attach

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

That would make the tethers alot more effective. Having the chute mount, and tethers going through the same shroud line loop is kind of like wiping your rear first, then taking a dump.

15. ITS IN MY BLOOD

BINGO,..!!!!!!
    Now the tethers are actually useful in the sence that they are a seperate device from the alleged problem,...But Still....
    What was/is the actual alleged problem to have mandated the tethers..???
    the mount,..or the chutes..???..........so why isnt THAT fixed..???
    insted of more,.more,..more..

Put the brakes on uneccassry rules,..LETS FIX THE ACTUAL PROBLEMS

NHRA YOU READING THIS...???????

:confused:

16. Dennis Taylor

Vic, The problem has been the failure of the mount on the rearend or the chassis. If either car had the tether system, they would not have crashed. If you don't know, the two incidents were Alexis DeJoria and Mark Niver. Just the facts.

DT

17. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Tethers

This only addresses one rule change. Chute tethers and body burst panel tethers are both required. Dennis are you going to make the burst panel tethers also? By the way- when you send my trans blanket back please include two chute tethers also. Dave Germain

18. nitrodude

nitrodude Nostalgia Top Fuel

Tether money

$ 35.00 From every certified product For SFI tag , is what i was told
    one of the honchos at SFI is a former NHRA Vice President , Imagine that !!!
    Kool -Aid anyone ??
    Gee for a Life-Saving device like this , you might think the SFI Tags would be a gift , that is , if they ,oh never mind

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  19. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I dont think this has ever been asked yet
    Is this a one time deal
    or
    do we have to have send this in and sfi tagged every 1-2-4 years
    anybody know

20. nitrodude

nitrodude Nostalgia Top Fuel

again & again & again

John , I don't know the answer , but just trying to remember if there ever was a "perpetual" SFI tag of any kind ??
    You just gotta believe they will need recertification , sitting there on the chassis doing all that work !! Almost like a Tranny blanket ! or a Firebottle or a --------------
    Grab your ankles !