TAD: Will this work?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Jul 29, 2003.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Everyone has opinons about the tad class. Here is an idea that was inspired by something Bob Frey said last weekend.

First off, if someone desires a rule change, there are 2 choices- slow the afuelers, or speed up the alcohol cars. TARA needs to decide which one it's going to be. Side note- what good is TARA? I know what their purpose if but rarely if ever hear what they will present to NHRA. Anyway-

as a fan, I would prefer to speed up the blown cars. You've given us 5.20's. It would not be good to take them away if it's possible not to do so.

Bob Frey made the comment on Sunday that the t/f teams can use electronic fuel injection, and the tad teams can't. What if:

1. The a/fuelers were left alone.
    2. The blown cars were allowed to use efi.
    3. The Blown cars were allowed to shed 100-200 lbs.

Would efi and shedding a little weight be enough to turn a 5.40 car into a 5.20 car? What are your thoughts (please keep it constructive. If you're going to whine start your own thread.) I will also be posting this on nitromater.com for discussion there.
    I hope to meet some more tad and tafc teams at Indy and Joliet this fall. Good luck to all.

Wolfgang

2. alkysniffer

alkysniffer New Member

It would be real tough to shed 200 lbs on the dragster as I help one and we are about 30 over now and dont really have much of a way of getting rid of it. It wont do any good to put 200 on the afuel prolly just help them. Efi on the blower that is interesting but dont know if it would work good or really be of that much more power for them. It could be that is a question I would have to ask our tuning wiz. About the only way to even them up is to start taking nitro away from the afuels untill it gets them in the same area as the blown cars that is the cheapest and easiest fix everything else will cost teams a lot of money. I hope ppl dont take me wrong here even tho I help a blower car I still like listening and watching the afuelers too and dont have a problem with them other than they have a huge advantage tight now. The problem is too is that they have not tapped all the potential from them either. I do believe they can go faster and if they do all the nhra has to do is take a little more nitro from them. Ppl dont realize that if they cut them back it will make for better racing and will help them be more consistant something that they are getting better at but still lacking somewhat. I still think that is the easiest fix for the problem

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Give TAD GIZMO and allow up to 526 cubic inches without adding 1 pound to the car? Expensive at first, but I'll loan you a crank.

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

we have cranks- how about $10,000.00 for a gizmo that norm says he has no time to make and no inclination- all efforts going to the new fuel blower. Don't the TA/FC cars have their own problems without dumping their big inch used cranks on the TAD's lol.

[ July 29, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Aww..come on.

I have several "one run" sets of rods and pistons you may be interested in. Also, several "one run" blower belts. Honest! Yea, right.

6. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

lmao

If the cranks at NHRA don't alter the TAFC rules, there will be a bunch of big engine cranks available for the BAD guys.

[ July 29, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Pat McGill ]

7. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

RK4's right, Drazy is so tied up with the TF blower deal, the Gizmo blower's would be a 6 month wait!

8. was R4K

was R4K Member

Randy- now you have my interest- We kick a ton of blower belts- Have any 8mm (1 run only) belts for sale?

9. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

What are your thoughts Will?

10. paalexander

paalexander New Member

Joe and Bob, Please don't take this as a criticism, or a bid to sell blowers. Just information. While PSI is truly busy making blowers for "the other guys," we are also making screw blowers -- about twenty going through the shop right now. Gizmos aren't any more work to make, and use all the same parts. If the TAD guys decide they want them, they'll have them. We do what the customer wants! (We'de be crazy not to.)

11. was R4K

was R4K Member

Sorry Pat- my info was derived from a post supposedly originating from your shop that was on another board- No critisism taken, and I am still a firm believer in the screw blower even if IHRA is making inroads into our race area. It's frustrating that we can't run in our back yard but have to tow 1000 miles to compete at NHRA tracks. Guess we are to stupid to see the writing on the wall! lol

12. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I help tune Gregg Lawrence's a/fuel car which won the recent divisional race at Woodburn, Oregon. We qualified #2 behind Morgan Lucas and set a new track record with a 5.37 in round 1 (nice call tjenna). Alkysniffer is right that these cars have not reached their potential - the difference between our qualifying time of 5.52 and our record run was that we kept 8 cylinders lit for 5.2 seconds. It is so foreign from my days in TAFC where you are trying to make power. With the a/fuel car it is in the application of power and keeping all 8 pulling a majority of the time.
    I really don't want any part of the controversy, I'm just really fascinated by the a/fuel combo and see the potential it has to go quicker and faster. So I can not deny that a/fuel has an advantage presently - I just hope the answer lies in allowing the alcohol cars means to go faster without having to spin the motors so hard.

13. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Russ,

Thanks for the honest opinion and nice run.

Good Luck with it.