state of tafc?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, May 8, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

what are some of yalls observations on the current state of tafc? is it coming back or not?

is low car counts to blame on a dwindling class or ihra stronghold in east/southeast? scheduling conflicts?

just a soundoff...

2. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

IHRA and the Manzo/Newberry juggernaut.

3. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

TAFC is dying a slow death...

TAD will be right behind if the performance potential of the two combinations doesn't get closer in line.

4. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

so if Manzo and Newberry are there we should all stay home huh.

5. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

Well, the IHRA has had some pretty week turn outs of late. I think one of the biggest issues is scheduling. Why the heck does the NHRA run 2 divisionals the same weekend of a National event? That is one of your biggest issue for a week turn out.

6. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Unless the race is in Hebron. lol

7. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

Guess we are a more competitive bunch than than you are..We dont pick our race schedule by looking at whos at the races first. You must though seeing as though i never see your name on any entry list.

8. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Funny, I don't remember seeing 'alkyfc' entered anywhere.

9. David Smith

David Smith Member

I am not sure how to cure the low car count problem or teams having to park there operations but I do think it revolves around a combination of many issuies.

Slow Economy

Sceduling Conflicts

Costs to run the cars competitively has sky rocketed

Have to do routine Mantinence more often due to running cars at higher rpms takes away from alotted budget set aside for racing season which takes away from the amount of events a team can attend

Return on investment is peanuts

Pat I have never heard a racer tell me they plan there scedule around whether Manzo or Newberry are racing.

Even though Car counts might have dropped a bit I think the teams that are out there are making tons of performance strides foward and setting new personal bests on the track creating a very competive racing atmosphere for the fans and racers themselves. I believe this year will be best year yet for TAFC as far as battle for national championship goes.

10. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

Marc White..i think we (Etterman racing) entered a few races over the years.

11. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Due to my Hebron post, you should know that I know your identity. Just trying to make a point, okay. Good luck at Indy, I'll be trying my best at E-Town.

12. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

kinda figured...We'll try our best. good luck at E Town

13. Danny Willcocks

Danny Willcocks New Member

I think the sportsman classes are getting to competetive for the smaller teams to survive. I am a crewmember of a Div. 6 TAFC and our car is a self-sponsored entry that can produce 5.98 passes on a limited budget. We do not have enough funding to go through 4 motors like an un-named TAFC racer did at this past week-ends divisional race in Mission. If more car turn-outs are desired, the NHRA needs to raise the blower over-drive ratios so that teams don't need to run 10,000 rpm to get 40psi. Just a thought.

14. R4K

R4K New Member

Danny- No one will sue you if you use BUCKY'S NAME- LET'S FACE IT- Not even bucky can afford 4 engines per race over a season. You guys were impressive to watch, and like Coffini- your day will come! [​IMG]

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

for whatever it's worth, i was talking to john glade down in atlanta, and he says frank is not turning it 10,500 like many teams do. whether or not that is a red herring, i dont know, but if he's not lying, thats pretty impressive. granted frank hurts his fair share of parts, but you have to consider the amount of runs he makes winning.

danny, i've worked with a few budget teams, so i've been in your shoes. from the best i can make of it, no matter what the rules are, the guys with mega bucks are going to find a way to get a leg up on the guys that dont have the money. it is the inherent nature of heads up racing. while there are exceptions to the rule...guys that haul ass with not a lot of money, for the most part it takes money to run up top, period. many times, as was the case with the 92 over rule, a rule change to save racers money cost many way more than was to be saved by less boost.

in my opinion, i dont think a single rules change will help the class. it seems like a disease with no cure. the ones that will survive is the teams that find a way to run hard and not kill parts, or just have a truck load of money. newb is running pretty hard, and to the best of my knowledge they haven't wounded a bullet all year. thats just my .02

16. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

The West Coast is pretty strong, but it always has been. It seems over the years the two class flip-flop on car counts. I’m seeing a lot of new teams and old teams returning, so maybe things are turning around.

There are 3 things that would drastically help the class:

1. Larger Purse: Qualifying and round money, not just the winner.

2. Scheduling: Lets not have Division races and National events on back to back weekends. Most of us have regular jobs and can not afford to be off two weeks in a row.

3. Only run on Tracks that are capable of handling a TF or FC

17. Will Hanna

Staff Member

woz,

yeah, more money would help, i agree, but what are the chances?

i also agree on the scheduling and track notes.

surely a bracket race could be rescheduled at some point at irp so that there isn't a divisional this weekend on top of etown. the back to back deals are tough. case in point was houston with jason cannon. it's hard enough to make back to back races without hurting parts. we hurt it good in the final at montgomery the week before, and had to sit out houston.

18. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

Actually, I'm Eric, not Woz, But I am a co-owner of Color by Woz and the race car. Guess I better ad a signature.