Starting a blown motor

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by nitrorelapse, Aug 17, 2011.

1. nitrorelapse

nitrorelapse Member

Some guys start spinning the motor then pull the ground wire off. Others pull the ground wire before they start to spin it over. Which is the correct way?

2. 8seclx

8seclx New Member

It is a personal preferance, some that leave the ground wire on are priming the fuel system and building the oil pressure. Some do it this way others pull the ground right away and let it build as the motor starts.

3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Starting

We leave the mag grounded until the engine is spining over nice and fast and then unground the mag. The engine seems to start faster and pull you prime into the injector better, less chance of a failed start. IMO

Corey

4. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

get it spinnin over good then pull the ground wire it will start easier that way

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I have a switch in the cockpit that I flip, seems easier/simpler.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Me too. Kill the power to the six shooter or power grid and the motor stops. I get it spinning then just flip the switch.

7. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i also have a kill switch in the cockpit but i do see guys using the ground one the coil but i like to be incontrol of the motor starting

8. Mike Evans

Mike Evans New Member

We do it a little different......... have a switch in the car and one on the blower. One guy can start it. He turns the motor with the fuel on and butterflies wide open, yes WIDE open, when he sees fuel shuts them and then flicks the switch. Instant start every time and NO bottles anywhere. While fuel is coming up oil pressure is also on the way. If its dead cold on a freezing day you can stop cranking at the first sign of fuel and squirt a little petrol into the hat. Close butterflies, crank again and hit the switch. The obvious danger in all this is the switch must be OFF while butterflies are open or he gets run down. Guarantee they only do it once.

9. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

We did the plates open and see the fuel thing when running a powerglide (in Park). Never with a clutch car. If the motor just happens to fire...........BAD THINGS HAPPEN. We always get the motor spinning first then pull the ground (or flip the switch), this way if there happens to be some fuel left in a hole, it shouldn't back fire if your running a fair amount of timing.

10. Mike Evans

Mike Evans New Member

Should have mentioned - talking clip on 36v starter with 48 up it and spinup before the butterflys get opened to clear anything. Generally don't work that good even with the best onboard starter. They just don't turn quick enough. We also back the motor down everytime before we start it. Never had one backfire, but only been doin it for 5 years. Clutch and brake pedal to the floor. If it did fire the guy is hardly gunna keep the butterflys open. We cocked it up once with a slider clutch, the car moved 3 inches, then sat and idled.......... For us it seems the quickest, simplest way to get it going every time, and a starter guy is easily trained. Often see other people struggle with the 'bottle man' getting the right amount out and into the hole.