Spectator and Crew passes at non regional lodrs Cost?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by rognelson777, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

I am assuming (ha ha) that since alcohol cars will not be running at LODRS races, nhra will reduce the price of crew pass entry tickets and spectator tickets.

If not maybe, Nhra can put that extra money they are making and putting into promoting the regional races. HA HA

I will miss watching Frank and Todd at Atco

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Rog

I thought about your post- yes the tracks won't be paying out as much to the Alcohol racers so their costs go down. You would think they would return that favor by boosting something else along the way? Nah, They are going to laugh all the way to the bank. No track prep required now, cheaper insurance for the event. Pit parking won't be a problem. They are going to make out like a fat rat on this deal and the NHRA takes the rap instead of the track operators. Dave Germain

3. 1971dart

1971dart New Member

Couple of questions for you Dave. Do you know what it takes to operate a dragstrip? ie compound, equipment upkeep, etc...? Just asking.

Track prep for most tracks will be the same as if they were running Top Alcohol. Track prep is a safety issue and I don't think tracks are going to skimp on that. As for the insurance the premiums have not been made public so those tracks that are not running Alcohol have no idea if they will go down. Nobody is trying to give NHRA a bad rap. But understand it was NHRA's idea to change the program. fyi

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

It may have been NHRA's final decision, but you can bet your glutes, that a good number of the tracks if not all the ones who now don't have TA wanted it that way. If there are 25 events now with TA, it means there are 20 tracks that did not want TA, I have heard it up here, many tracks bitched they had to pay a piddly 9k per class, when any other feature is 10k plus and they pay that and also promote that feature. They expect the NHRA should be doing all the promotion for the Divisonals.

Dean

5. 1971dart

1971dart New Member

Well I can tell you that alot of the tracks that made the decision to not have Alcohol did not have all the information prior to the decision. Most tracks thought they were doing the class a favor in backing out because they were told that the Racers wanted less races.

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Dart

I see by your posts that you are fairly new here. I really prefer that people use real names so we all know who is who here. I am assuming from your posts that you are a track operator. I don't want this to seem like a racers vs track operators feud. I will speak only from my personal experience. In div 6 there are tracks that seem to welcome the alcohol classes and other tracks that seem to not welcome the alcohol classes. I ran a fast super comp/super pro dragster for years. I had plenty of opportunity over the years to watch full length track preps when the alcohol cars were on site and I can't ever remember the same type of prep when they weren't. I have also seen the rescue unit staffed when the alcohol cars are there and it was empty when they weren't. The tracks who embrace the alcohol classes are also the one who advertize their events. The tracks who don't, have empty stands (try selling that to a sponsor)? It seems to my non-track operator vision that some tracks are content with the back gate proceeds. So much so in fact that they open fewer concession stands, rent fewer porta-potties and bring in fewer staff. In div 6 we have both types of track operators. The ones who want the whole pie- front and back gate. And others who are content with just the back gate. Want to take a guess at which tracks are thriving and which aren't? Not only does drag racing need dedicated racers but it needs dedicated track operators. We depend on each other. The racers need you to be successful too just as we need you to help us to succeed. This isn't us vs them it's "we". Bring in fans and we can sell our marketing services to sponsors. If we have sponsors then we can keep coming to your track. Dave Germain

7. 1971dart

1971dart New Member

Dave,

Sorry for not putting my name on the previous post. My name is Michael Carlson and I am the Treasurer for a Drag Strip that holds a Divisional race but not doing Alcohol this year. If you would like my cell number please pm me and I would be very happy to visit with you about our track. Thanks

Michael Carlson

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. 1971dart

1971dart New Member

I just found out that not only do we not get to have Top Alcohol but I am paying the same Lucas Oil premium as those tracks that are contesting Alcohol. We are now down to a 3 day event vs their 4 day event. Just does not seem right to me. We don't have the risk so the premium for this event should go down.

Michael Carlson

9. JBJ

JBJ Member

Dave very good post, best part " Not only does drag racing need dedicated racers but it needs dedicated track operators."

10. jeffj

jeffj Member

Will, it appears clear that, according to Mr Carlson's direct information, that the situation is as I had stated on a parallel thread on this subject. The sanctioning body is a major part of the problem and does not appear to be able to even consider becoming part of the solution. Unfortunately, I think that the expenditure of time, energy and $ by your proposed association will only encounter a similar 1000 yard stare from them.
    Dave's point that there are essentially 2 camps of track operators in place is exactly on target. The ones doing their job don't need much help and the ones not doing their job probably cannot be helped.
    If I were to invest in this effort it would be directed at getting additional sponsor $ for the purse at our events and to establish and fund additional events for our classes without the overhead that currently drags us down.
    Maybe it is timely to consider a "REAL WORLD" championship series. (double entendre intended).
    At the risk of getting killed here I'll offer one other thought on the low spectator gate over the last number of years. I'll qualify this by saying that I raced super comp for many years. The current model for SST, SG and SC is to dribble out a few hundred feet on the stop and then run speed to the finish line. With the exception of a few diehard 1000 ft folks, the spectators are at the starting line area. THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE ANYMORE. Back in my day they banned the stutter boxes because it was no good for spectators and we are back to the same issue and have been for years. Spectators would get a better show watching cars leaving the 7-11 than at any event today. Bracket cars are now doing this too. Only stock, SS and comp along with us offer any show at all for the spectators.
    Just my thoughts, Jeff Johnsen

11. ITS IN MY BLOOD

The big question is,....and no one has brought it up is,....

Are these Top Alcohol races held by

A) NHRA

OR,....

B) the track,....???????

Who is responsible for this mayham..??? way too many grey areas for any one person to
    say that the Lucas Oil Series belongs to a track or the NHRA, and only because no one wants to step up and take the bull by the horns and do what is right, and in my opinion
    there are many issues I could go on about but the two biggest deals are this,....

A) Payout

B) Organization

The tracks complain because it is too much cost for the alky cars because there are not enough spectators for them to make money,...do they really do all that is needed in advertising to get their grandstands packed,...I think Not,..!!!!!!

Does the Nhra want to put together a track relations program in place to help with advertising, Hell no that costs money and they are for Non Profit,...!!!!

Tracks charge the alky cars entry fees, well most tracks anyhow only because they cant rely on spectator counts because they dont spend money on advertising, so lets make the money off of the race cars,..I agree the super classes should pay entry NOT the alky cars.

What else no one has mentioned is that the TOP ALCOHOL class are the 3rd and 4th fastest classes in the NHRA classifications,..and you guys get treated like red headed step children at the Professional level.

I only hope for the best for everyone I have raced with over the last 10 years in Top Alcohol, but I really dont believe NHRA made the right discision on Regionals, the structure in my opinion shows just a quicker way for them(NHRA) to prove the alky cars are a bust..........I hope not.

WHEN and WHO is going to give The Top Alcohol class racers the well deseved finacial break they /you,.. all deserve,...???

Vic Miller
    a nobody

12. 1971dart

1971dart New Member

Vic,

I would assume these are NHRA races as we pay NHRA to come in and run the Divisional. Depends on the track but it is from around 15k and up just for them to put on the race depending on car count. Then you have your Track Membership fee on top of that, insurance for the event, and all the other expenses to put on the race. I can only speak for my track and we don't charge the Alcohol and their crew for entry to the race. Then we pay them about 16k in purse.

As for advertising if you have any ideas on how to get grandstands packed for any track please share them. Money is tight for everyone from the spectator to the racer. We have to figure out a way to give them the best bang for their dollar.

I know tracks would love to have their stands filled during these races. It would help EVERYONE involved from the track to the racers. So if you have ideas please pass them on in a positive manner. Thanks

Michael Carlson

13. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Sounds like the tracks need to renegotiate their usage fee for NHRA races to be held at their tracks,. its a business right,.?? is this the way you want to conduct good business..???

Well it seems to me that the tracks at,.. Woodburn Oregon, Mission BC, and Spokane Washington, had no problems filling up the seats at their Div 6 races,..Why you ask,...
    because they advertised,..!!!! they are in the drag strip business, thats how you conduct business, not some cheap charlie back n front gate scam on the racers.

14. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

How to do it

I'm more than a nobody, just a fan who loves the alcohol classes.

Here is how New England Dragway promoted their divisional last year.

Internet / social media presence, they show up in searches.

Email notification of events if you ask for info from the website.

Radio advertising in the local market area (Portsmouth, Manchester), and the large market area (Boston, 50 miles to the south).

Direct mail flyers at the beginning of the season with schedules and features.

Hooking the casual spectator with fluff stuff (jet cars / wheelstanders)... then relentlessly promoting and thanking the alcohol and national level sportsman racers during the show with great announcing... educating the casual fan.

Tie-ins with local businesses (Ford dealership) with prizes and static displays.

Static display area for select hi-po street rods etc.

Family friendly fan interaction (60 foot tricycle races) during downtimes.

There is a few I've observed, just as a fan.

Chris Saulnier
    Gray, Maine

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

association

Jeff -

To specifically answer your point, I still think this came from a group of tracks putting pressure on NHRA. NHRA may have a hand in this to try to protect the health of the series. There was a good number of tracks about ready to say to hell with running a divisional. NHRA makes too much money off divisional event fees and all the sanctioning fees and memberships that drives in. If a track doesn't have a national, and a NHRA divisional isn't making money, they might be tempted to jump the fence to the IHRA.

So yes, the NHRA may have been part of dictating the cuts and where they were cut at. At the end of the day I still contend the movement started with the tracks.

If anything, it reinforces the need for doing what we are trying to do with the Pro Sportsman Association. We're not just forming a group to lobby NHRA or the tracks for more races. We are going to build up and promote what we do in the media. If what we are trying to do is executed properly, the alcohol classes will get more media attention this year than they probably ever have. We want to make sure that when the alcohol cars roll into town for a regional event, the local media knows about it because the PSA pr rep called them several weeks prior and arranged to send him some feature content and press releases. Will that work in every market? No, but it will work in some. I'd also be willing to bet more tracks will do more as a result of having someone to help them do some leg work on local promotions

So whatever end game you think the class should head for or is heading to, there is nothing but good that can come from having someone promote our type of racing heavier.

If we just pool resources to build a 'pot' up to race for we might as well just call ourselves car club racers instead of headlining entertainers. Look at the Comp Eliminator funds that are out there. They come and go.

What we're going to do is try to build more of a fan following of the alcohol cars. The more interest we generate, the more people will want to come see us when we come to town.

Vic -

Not trying to play the devils advocate too much here because you make some good points, but in some markets the car counts were getting so low, you can't blame a track for not promoting the alcohol cars.

Again it goes back to what we are trying to do with the PSA, build our fan following.