Spark Scatter?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ssr, Apr 28, 2004.

1. ssr

ssr rookie

Has anyone heard of timing irregularities caused by using a geroter oil pump (plueger) vs spur gear (system 1)? Spoke to the guys at Missile Ent, they have a new spur gear pump for hemi's, say the advantage is it doesnt beat up the oil as much, less affect on dist gear and thus the mag. Sounds like bs to me but I could be wrong.

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Ask Force. He runs Plueger pumps and seems to do just fine.

[ April 29, 2004, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

3. ssr

ssr rookie

He also uses a crank trigger so it really doesnt matter for him. Read my question again.

4. ssr

ssr rookie

Well, first of all, I'm not John Force, and I really don't care what he runs. Likewise I don't run in Top Fuel. Question was, does a spur gear oil pump beat up the oil more or less than a geroter which may lead to timing variations on the mag (forget for a moment about a crank trigger as it obviously would make this discussion a moot point).

5. Alkyguy

Alkyguy New Member

We changed to the System 1 pump this season and immediately noticed the bearings love it, never noticed anything about timing though. If you are thinking about getting one, make sure it will clear your frame rails, it is a LOT BIGGER than a Plueger.

6. ssr

ssr rookie

Alkyguy,
    Thanks for the reply, I assumed you used a Plueger in the past? What made you change to the System 1? Why do you think the bearings are doing better? Higher flow?

7. Alkyguy

Alkyguy New Member

Randy Anderson explained it to to us like this. The plueger pump was made for fuel cars that stage at an idle, go to 7000 rpm for 4.5 seconds and shut off, while an alcohol car stages @ 6000 rpm for a couple seconds and runs at 10,000 rpm for 5.5 seconds. He claims the pump cant pump enough oil. We werent 100% convinced but tried it anyways and he was right, it made a difference.