Shields Goes to Semi at Atco After Dramatic Start

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Aug 8, 2016.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Atco NJ - It was one of those do or die situations as Duane Shields was on the outside looking into an eight car field that so far didn't include his PEAK A/Fuel Dragster. On the third and final qualifying session the PEAK team did what Champions do and that is overcome adversity and make it into the field on a Hail Mary pass. The PEAK team put together a 5.36 at 275 MPH package to qualify 5th at the NHRA Lucas Oil Regional event at Atco Dragway. "It was a nail biter and a little bit stressful but we got our car into the show in the final session," Duane said.

In round one, Duane faced Dan Mercier who qualified fourth. As the tree lights came down, it was Mercier out first but Duane had him covered by over a tenth of a second. At the finish line it was Duane taking the win with a decent 5.34 at 274 MPH to Mercier's respectable 5.45 at 260 MPH.

In the semifinals, Duane drew another tough competitor, Josh Hart who qualified on the pole with a strong 5.27. As the dragsters rocketed off the line, it was Duane out first with an 0.049 reaction time to Hart's 0.063 but Hart had a slightly quicker ET and was able to take a very narrow four foot victory as he stopped the clock with a 5.33 at 270 MPH to Duane's valiant 5.36 at 272 MPH. "We lost a another close race which seems to be the story of my life this season. The car ran good, we just needed a little bit more. I felt confident going into the semis and would have liked to have won it since we need all the points we can get for the Eastern Regional Championship," said Duane, who is currently second behind Rich McPhillips in the points standings.

Next, the team heads to Brainard for the Lucas Oil Nationals,August 18-21. "Our schedule switches over to mostly national events now and I'm hoping we can get a win at some of them beginning in Brainard," Duane said. Duane would like to thank PEAK Antifreeze and Motor Oil, Final Charge, Blue Def, NGK, GRP and Brad Anderson Enterprises for their ongoing support.