rotor problems

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fasttimesracing, Nov 12, 2006.

1. fasttimesracing

could you all help me out. iv heared that the k-8 rotors have had problems with cracking . i am looking to buy a bigger blower and really want to make sure i get a good reilable one . any thoughts? also we dont have any over drive rules so i dont need what i have heared called a low speed blower . this is going on a 555 bbc with a steel block thank you for the help

2. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Call JR at RBS Superchargers. He can help you out. :)

Rapid

3. DMPE

DMPE Member

Of the hundreds of the K8 Rotors machined by Kobelco only but a handful of them have failed or cracked. A small run (12) of the earlier K8's were run with a larger lightening hole in the rotor lobe. (Of these 12 sets about half of them made it into the field, the rest were eventually scrapped.)These were the units that eventually cracked in the area between the dovetail and the lightening bores. I don’t think you will find any of these in existence at this point in time.
    However this doesn’t mean you won’t find a set that have been abused and are damaged or cracked, or that have failed or cracked for other obvious reasons.
    It is best that when buying a used supercharger you agree with the seller that the unit be shipped to a reputable rebuilder for inspection/overhaul. Normally the seller will agree to pay half of the overhaul/inspection charges. This normally works out in the best interest of both involved parties as the company inspecting the unit does not want to sell the new customer a part that will fail, and of course you would like to think the seller don’t want to sell a unit that is about to fail.
    Lastly please also remember that restripping a supercharger and remanufacturing a supercharger is not the same thing. Send your supercharger to a company that knows what they are doing. Simply pulling Teflon in the unit and slamming it back together is not a proper overhaul.

Darren
    DMPEINC.com

4. aj481x

aj481x Member

Darren..........What is involved in a quality overhaul?.......Thanks

5. DMPE

DMPE Member

overhaul

Sure:
    A properly overhauled supercharger has had the following.

Case: Square, flat, all threads checked end frame location provisions checked for location. Repaired as required.

Rotors: Timing/phasing, Teflon retention, Shafts/retaining pins inspected, repairs as required.

Gears: Inspected, repaired as necessary, replace, Re-heat treat and or machine as necessary.

Bearings: Inspection, replace as necessary (apex 7 rebuilt) lower class replaced.

Drive: Drive snout and coupler inspection. Replace normally depending on issue.

End frames: inspection includes bearing bores, end frame location to case. (rotor x,y,z, location) Common problem to a pinned end frame, relocation of the end frame is required to locate rotor correctly. Receiver bore type end frames less common.

Seals: Inspect and replace as necessary

Teflon: Replace and machine to Required O.D.

final assembly and Final timing and clearance inspection to ensure workmanship.

Darren

6. aj481x

aj481x Member

Thank you :)