Rookie Rachel Meyer Drives to Final Round Appearance at NHRA Menards Heartland Nationals

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 25, 2017.

By News Editor on May 25, 2017 at 8:25 AM
  1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Daughters of drag racing sportsman legend Randy Meyer, Megan and Rachel Meyer, made their “Meyer Sisters Racing: Double Trouble” national debut at the 2017 NHRA Menards Heartland Nationals presented by Minties Dog Treats. Megan and Rachel were supported by Weld Wheels for the event, a company that is based out of the Kansas City area and maker of the lightest and strongest drag racing wheels.

The girls finished qualifying in the second (Rachel: 5.24 E.T. at 277 mph) and fourth (Megan: 5.28 E.T. at 278 mph) positions, paving the way for an all Meyer final round. Megan was first on the track between the two and had a bye run as her opponent had a fuel leak. Megan shook the tires around 100’ and shut off the car, coasting to an 11-second run and forfeiting lane choice. Rachel followed with an outstanding 5.22 E.T. at 276 mph over Dean Dubbin and gets her first National event round win.

AAP_6174.jpg

Round 2 of eliminations kicked off on Sunday, and this time it was Rachel who ran before Megan. Rachel faced Robin Samsel and left the starting line before him and never looked back, crossing the finish line with a 5.25 E.T. at 274 mph. Megan was defeated in the quarter-finals by Jackie Fricke as she had even more tire shake. This run was more violent than the prior run and they will have their hands full repairing the parts and pieces on the car before their next race.

Rachel made her way to the final round of eliminations, but not before taking out James Stevens who disqualified himself with a red light start. Rachel ran a slower 5.29 E.T. at 272 mph in the semi-finals, and gave up lane choice to Shawn Cowie for the closing round. Rachel and Shawn had identical reaction times, but this time it was Rachel who shook the tires and lost traction around half-track and tried to stay on for a wild ride, but was not able beat Shawn to the finish line.

“I am still smiling at the fact that I even made it that far,” said Rachel. “I am very lucky to have my father, who has years of experience, tuning the car as well as an amazing crew who knows what they are doing. I could not have made it that far without them. I tried my hardest as a driver this whole weekend to stay focused, cut good lights, and keep the car in the grove. Unfortunately, in the finals I had to do a little extra driving than normal and was not able to win the round, but I am still very happy I even made it that far.”

“This weekend I learned that sometimes you just get lucky,” Rachel claimed. “Like in 3 round, I was lucky my opponent red light. But no matter how the weekend ends, I should always keep a smile on my face. I am very blessed to have had the opportunity to race for Randy Meyer Racing and Weld Wheels, and I hope I never take it for granted. It is a wonderful racing community I am surrounded by and I am very blessed that we can all be friends when the race is over, win or lose. It is crazy that I have spent my whole life watching my dad race against these talented racers, and now I am finally getting the chance to.”

AAP_6176.jpg

Rachel will return to her Super Comp Dragster to compete in bracket races for the rest of the year, but plans on piloting a Top Alcohol Dragster again this year.

The Randy Meyer Racing Team’s next event is at Tulsa Raceway Park for the Central Regional race on June 23-25. Megan will pilot her Meyer Truck Center/Weld Wheels Dragster, and Shayne Lawson will be returning to the drivers seat in the Epic Motorsports Dragster.

The NHRA Menards Heartland Nationals will air on Thursday, June 1st on Fox Sports 2, 7:30-8:80pm Central. Visit randymeyerracing.com/tv-schedule/ for the broadcast schedule.

Written by: Randy Meyer Racing | Photos by: Alkey Alex Photography

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 25, 2017.