Ron August Jr. - NHRA World Finals Wrap Up

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by PROCOMP1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. PROCOMP1

PROCOMP1 New Member

August Ends 2009 in Dramatic Fashion
    [​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy of Roger Richards @ Competitionplus.com

Pomona, Calif. – It’s been said, “When you strike out at bat, make sure you go down swinging.” This could be the phrase which best describes the experience Pleasanton, Calif. contractor Ron August Jr.’s 2009 NHRA Auto Club World Finals experience. The rookie Top Fuel Driver of Mitch King’s rail and veteran Top Alcohol Funny Car pilot entered the final qualifying sessions on the outside looking in both Lescure Co. sponsored entries.

On Friday evening, August staged his Mustang Alky flopper knowing he’d have to eclipse the very difficult 5.75 second elapsed time bump spot. As he slammed the throttle down to the floor, he knew the car was ‘on a run’. The car drove the first 60-feet of Auto Club Raceway in Pomona in 0.965 seconds, which was the quickest incremental the car had all season. However, the magical run was short lived as a catastrophic rear end failure caused the car to lose power. The mechanical issues caused a shower of sparks, fire and debris to trail the car as he limped down the quarter mile track.

"After 20 consecutive runs down the quarter mile shaking my brains out it was refreshing knowing the car was on a good pass," noted August. "Its honesty the worst feeling I’ve had in a long time in this sport as we know this car is capable of so much better performance. Yet we found what the car was looking for in the performance department, so we should be good to go next year. I’d really like to apologize to Tony Bartone and Brian Thiel who were the next cars out behind us, as well to the NHRA Safety Safari. The rear end failure caused a lot of junk on the track. That’s not our game.”

Then August strapped into Mitch King’s Lescure Co. sponsored Top Fuel Dragster for his final attempted to crack a very difficult 16-car field. August launched the car at night, with header flames lighting up the So Calif. sky. About 100 foot out he had to pedal the throttle as he noticed the car beginning to lose traction. The car instantly hooked up and the car’s front end began to climb sky high, until the wheelie bars and Augusts’ quick reacting driving brought the car down to earth.“I was just trying to do everything to get that car in the show," said August to NHRA announcer Alan Reinhart after the run. When asked by Reinhart when he decided to lift August said, "I was following the tree line next to the track and when all I saw were stars and black sky i figured I was done."

August was dissapointed in the outcome for the weekend but was extremely thankful for those who have helped him this season. "I’m thankful to Mike Lescure for giving me an opportunity to live the dream in Top Fuel. He’s been a great supported of mine though the years and I feel bad we were not able to get these cars in the show.”

August is not completely certain what his plans are for the 2010 NHRA campaign; however he wanted to extend his sincere gratitude to his friends, fans and especially his family for the support they have shown him this season. “All in all, it’s been a very good year for the August family. I’m blessed to have a great support group and I am looking forward to whatever our future holds.”

Courtesy of Tim Charlet

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009