Rolling in bearings

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Jun 17, 2015.

1. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

What kind of tricks do you know of that make it easier or quicker when changing bearings while the engine is still in the chassis?

In particular I'm asking about mains but I'm interested to hear about rods also.

Does anyone use the little pegs that you put into the crank oiling hole, then turn the engine over to rotate the bearing out/in?

2. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Not sure about rolling the upper bearing in & out....it does not see much abuse...

One neat trick is to use a small bottle jack with the correct length wood spacer on the main cap to push it up to the block....we have used rubber tipped hammers and other things to try to "tap" the main cap in place and always end up knocking the bearing shell out of the cap....the bottle jack is perfect for pushing the cap up without loosing the bearing shell....ya just hafta go far enough with the jack to start the nuts and then run em up with a drill....

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

pin

a big cotter pin stuck in the crank oil hole can roll a hemi thrust out and back in.

4. promodracer

promodracer Member

I have turned over at crank or blower as posh cap in direction. I use aluminum tig rod I smashed down or plastic delrin sheet cut it size. works good. I was going to make a handle to sandwich delrin.

5. DQUES

DQUES Member

Try using oil between the brg and cap , it really helps to hold the bearing in the cap .