Roller lifters BBC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by otherjf, Sep 10, 2005.

1. otherjf

otherjf New Member

Hi ,
    I was wondering what brand lifters you guys would reccomend for a blown BBC. We run the crane 4bar lifters.They were ok, but since we changed cams, the rollers on the exhaust side get smashed. :confused: I dont think its valve bouncing ,we run 400pounds seat press,and rev it no more than 8200.Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Joseph.

2. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

Hey Joseph... personally I have had good luck using comp cam vertical bar lifters in my bbc. i know they are nothing fancy or super hi-tech but i've had them in for 2 seasons. at the last tear down they were in excellent shape and i've not seen any evidence of problems. i have HEARD good things of the erson red zone lifter but cannot say personally. hope that helps ya... sean

www.metalmafiaracing.com

btw... when you say smashed how do you mean? does the roller break?

3. Danny Humphreys

Crower makes a great lifter, we put about 40 runs on a set w/ no probs. And the red zone is isky, and they are supposed to be good but i haven't run them either.

4. DQUES

DQUES Member

I had the same problem until I switched to the .904 lifters (compcams ) with the larger wheel. Big chief heads w/360 lbs. on the seat shifting at 8400 rpm .

[ September 11, 2005, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: DQUES ]

5. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

How much lift do you have on intake and exhaust?
    How much boost are you making?

To much spring pressure is just as bad as not enough.

Bob Kraemer

6. otherjf

otherjf New Member

HI
    the cam has got .414" lift both in&ex.272 duration@50. We have 2to 1 rockers .
    It makes 38-40 pounds boost.
    We cast our own heads and made the rockers which a probably a bit heavy on the exhaust because we laid the valve over 30degrees from standard so when it opens it goes towards the center of the bore instead fo the wall.we used to run a cam with the same duration but .396 lobe lift and the lifters were fine.The new cam was ment for high ratio rockers.Do you guys think because the rocker is so long(heavy) it could still float the valves?
    Thanks a lot.
    Joseph

7. otherjf

otherjf New Member

HI
    I forgot to say,yes its the rooler that breaks.
    Dooes any body run the new Shubeck(spelling?)lifters with the roller with no bearing?
    Thanks again everyone
    Joseph

8. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Joseph

Are the rockers made out of steel or aluminum?
    Sounds like you were right on the border with the .396 cam.
    With the larger cam, 2 to 1 ratio and laying the exh. valve over 30 deg. you probably are floating the valves.
    How do the seats in the heads and the face of the valves look?
    Are the ends of the push rods and the cups in the rockers & lifters beat up?
    If the seats, push rods, valves,cups in the rockers and rollers look beat up then I would say you are floating the valves.

Congrats on casting your own heads and making you own rockers.

Hope this helps
    Bob Kraemer

[ September 11, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Bob Kraemer ]

9. otherjf

otherjf New Member

Hi Bob and all
    The rockers are 7075 aluminum.
    The ends of the push rods look ok.
    We will be taking the rest of the engine apartin the next few days.So im not sure about the valves.We will lighten the rockers as much as we think possible.
    Thanks a lot.
    Joseph.

10. mike tkach

mike tkach New Member

bob kraemer stated that 2 much valvesprimg preassure is just as bad as not enough.with due respect ,i cannot agree with him on that,fact is 90 percent of valvetrain failure is caused by valvesprings not strong enough to do the job.my guess is your exhaust spring is to weak.i make this statement assuming there is no coilbind or other friction problems.i use crower .804 lifters in one of my bbc engines,stainless valves,8400 rpm.comp cams best springs,38 lbs boost,and have not had a failure.when the springs loose 15 percent of origional pressure,pitch them in the trash,it,s much cheaper to replace springs than the rest of the valvetrain.also,go to rhear&morrison,s site and check out[the spring,s the thing].hope this helps

11. flatbladed

flatbladed New Member

if someoone made valve springs with 700 lbs of seat preasure people would buy them. this is my own experiance with valve train.comp cams .904 lifters in my chevy, titainium valves T @ D rockers comp cams push rods low dollar valve springs 260lbs on the seat .808 valve lift 9400 rpms in the lights.valve guide clearance and geometry is the key.

12. nasty bug

nasty bug New Member

Hi

i run supercharged 510 big block chev my Question i run a crane cam part no138351
    its a blower cam 737 intake 726 exhaust lift
    its spring requirements are from cam card
    210 on seat 665 open have crane got it wrong?
    i ran manely springs 350 pound at 2.000 and 900
    pound at open pressure thay worked but pushrods would gall up on roker end every 2nd run i tried
    moly grease different lubes different brand adjusters , push rods to no avail i then pulled
    the inner spring out of the tripples which reduced the seat pressure to 270 and open to
    720 and it stopped galling up i still lube them
    before start up just my experiences.