Returns for fuel?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dstettner, May 6, 2012.

1. dstettner

dstettner New Member

Is it ok to put returns to inlet of pump?? what are the professionals take on this ? Im new to the blown alky deal and just want to plum everthing right the first time. Either to the tank or inlet of pump??

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

we go back the the tank, at the pump there would be alot of turbulance and possable cavitation..Dave

3. dstettner

dstettner New Member

Returns

Thanks Dave,to the tank it is then that makes sens, why interupt the fuel going in to the pump. Just have seen it both ways.

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

not saying it won't work but going to the tank is the best way all your top builders hadman mckinney ect. build there tanks to do all the returns there,we have a 1 1/2 solid alu. feed and a 1 1/2 return on the return there is 5 or 6 an bungs to plumb into..dave

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I return my fuel appox a foot before the pump with an in line return log....no problems yet. Approved by Mike at RAGE Fuel Systems. Would a return all the way to the tank be best, yes. Is it necessary, no..

6. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

If you are going to plumb back into the inlet of the pump give yourself a little distance for it to get straightened out to eliminate any possibility of the problems that Dave mentioned above. You have to be careful because you can create cavitation issues if you return it back to the tank in the wrong spot.

7. badbird

badbird New Member

most seem to return right at the top of the tanks and blower alky cars have large tanks,
    i have a question i have an alky turbo hemi car and it uses less than two gallons in the burnout and run...best 6 2@ 240 (yes slow for turbo car but we have no help and its a clutch car, i wont use a converter drive out of principal) so far we still use the lil bertha pump so as you can imagine its returning a lot of fuel to the tank, im considering using a jazz 4 gal plastic tank for a weight saving, id have to run this quiet full for saftey, where could i return this much fuel (approx 10 gmp) without risking cavitation/aerating the fuel ??

dont mean to hijack the thread the topic is just of some interest to me
    thanks

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You risk running out of fuel, or cavitating and destroying your motor.

On the returns. Stop and think for a moment about what happens to a liquid that is compressed by a pump......it heats up. So now lets think about what happens if you take that heated fuel and return it back into the inlet of the pump and compress it again. Now take that fuel and return it again and again. That fuel is going to heat up and be in a heating loop. Heated fuel is going to cause you tuning woes and loss of cooling in the blower because less the density and less power. Return it to the tank.

9. badbird

badbird New Member

thanks mike it was just a thought as we have a massive tank at the moment,
    thats exactly the kind of reason not to spend money i was looking for
    thanks again