Removing decal glue

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by drn1013rd, May 26, 2014.

1. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

Anybody got suggestions on removing decal glue from trailer, replacing the decals of sponsors that have faded, decal came off easy but left a glue behind tougher than nails so far tried brake clean, laquer thinner, power spray and oven cleaner (which was old trick to remove pinstriping )
    thanks in advance
    Don Nolan
    tad #392

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

goof off....but be careful it might dull the paint a little.
    Darren

3. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

4. fed-west

fed-west Member

I bought an old Pennzoil trailer many years ago. Pulled the decals off but the glue was the glue from hell. i tried every known adhesive remover known to man, including the erasers and the only thing that worked for me was something called SEM SOLVE I got from a paint store. It was not quick, but very time consuming. I would wet down one letter at a time and keep it as wet as possible, after a few minutes of soaking I would take an old credit card and start scraping the glue off. I would have to repeat the process several times before I got down to the paint, sometimes one or two hours per letter.

Good luck,

Tom

5. cutting edge

cutting edge New Member

rapid remover

Go to a local sign shop and have them get you a product called Rapid Remover. Wholesale price is around $25.00 / quart. It is the very best remover you can use on glue. spray it on with a squirt bottle, let it sit for 30 seconds and scrape it with a squegee use to install vinyl. It comes off in yucky snotballs......
    I've been in the sign biz 23 years and have removed more than my fair share.
    You may try calling a company called Feller's direct, at 800-654-8405. They usually only sell to the trade, but it's worth a shot.

6. Brent

Brent Member

I use WD-40.

7. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

How long did you let the oven cleaner sit? I swear I remember 20 years ago just spraying it on and wiping it off. The last time I tried it, though, I had to let it sit for awhile before it would do anything, so maybe oven cleaner isn't what it used to be? If you let it sit long enough, it might take off more than you wanted though.

8. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

Go to your local automotive paint store & get some adhesive remover, you can still get the good stuff if you don't live in So Cal.

9. gottuna

gottuna New Member

decal

wd40 x2 this always works for me

10. promodracer

promodracer Member

decal glue removal

3m makes an adhesive remover. works great