Regular 8mm Pullies and 8mm GT Pullies.....whats the difference??

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by scott hall, May 27, 2015.

1. scott hall

scott hall Member

Whats the technical difference between a regular 8mm and a 8mm GT pulley?

I deal with 8mm dry sump pulleys, so im curious about the GT and why couldn't run a top pulley that is GT when all my other stuff is "regular".

Scott Hall

2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Tooth profile is diff. GT is what you want Other is street blower shit.

3. scott hall

scott hall Member

Thanks Jody...........

I'm shocked there aren't more responses..............

4. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

No worries. You can get great used pulleys from JR at RBS Superchargers. Before I buy new I always call him to see what he has in stock used.

5. TWD

TWD Blown alky

6. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Htd vs gt

I have some HTD and some GT pulleys on the shelf. I also wondered if you could mix and match. So I picked up a GT belt and wrapped it tightly around an HTD sprocket and was not comfortable with the mesh or the non-meshed areas between the teeth. A lot of slop between the belt teeth and the pulley teeth. The belt rode only on the top of the HTD pulley teeth and did not contact the bottom of the pulley teeth. It was a misfit.
    I then picked up a HTD belt and wrapped it around a GT pulley. Again I was not comfortable with the mesh between the teeth of the belt and the teeth of the pulley. The belt rode on the bottom of the round belt teeth but the GT pulley has a flat bottom. Again a misfit.
    To each his own but for me, it is one or the other but not a mix of both. Just saying.

7. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

you could run a GT belt in a HTD pulley but not the other way, it wont mesh, but will work, the HTD profile rolls in the tooth of the pulley, The GT profile, pushes and releases therefore creating less drag and less heat