Pro Mods? Threat level?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

What is your thoughts about pro mod? Do you think they pose a threat? If so why?

I'll let a few of you weight in and offer my comments.

2. flash

flash top alcohol

yes I think they are a big threat to ta/fc and tad
    because of their popularty. most are blown and to
    the average fan in the stands put on a very good show.it appears the pro mods numbers are growing
    as our numbers are shrinking!!! the only thing we
    have going for us is they are a pro class and they would not run div. races because that would
    be a step down in their minds!!but what to do to
    improve our position vs the pro mods?

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

I think the threat level is constantly diminishing. The novelty is wearing off, and in the end, the TAD/TAFC racers will win out.

4. TAFC184

TAFC184 New Member

In my oppinion i feel that NHRA is just sitting back and watching more and more bads switch to afd and the tafc class dwindle...at some point they might say there will be an afd class only and if you have a blown motor in a dragster or funny car they will tell you to go run it in pro mod...sad but it could happen

5. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

Honestly, I dont think that the NHRA is ever going to make PM's a professional class. Once the guys realize that they will start focusing in on the IHRA races. Chicago for example......the points leader Mitch Stott was not there.....He was in Grand Bend worrying about the IHRA points race. Shannon Jenkins last years champ wasn't there....These guys know where the real PM action is.....

6. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

IMO: To me Pro-Mods are left hand steer TA|FC now.
    I think when they went to low style bodys they were no longer as cool. It is now hard to tell what they are. I think they have there place as a side show like jet and wheely cars. They do look fun to drive though.

7. MIke Eubank

MIke Eubank Super Comp

If you don't see thier popularity you have blinders on. Now are they a threat? In my opinion there is room for everyone. Low car counts seem to be a bigger threat. Atlanta, 8 TAFC's, Topeka, 16, while there are 20 something TAD's. There are tons of Pro Mods, granted mostly outlaw cars but they pack the stands every weekend on local tracks. I'm currently putting together an alky show in Texas and the Track owners want to no why people would rather see TAFC's and TAD's than Pro Mods, Good question!

just my .02
    Mikey

8. Dimmy

Dimmy New Member

Here in Australia Pro mod is called Top Doorslammer and there numbers are growing by the week. Things like TAD and FC’s are few and far between. This may be life in the future.

9. d johnson

d johnson Top Alcohol

Here in England it's the same as Aussy the pro mods and fast door slammers are really popular, At the first big event and the first round of the FIA European championship this year only 3 TADS showed up but plenty pro mods,If the TADS stay away like this the class is finished, The blown TADS that did go ran really well side by side 5.4s Them 5.4s sure cost plenty $$$$$$$$$$$

10. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

I believe they are a threat.

But they still suck.

11. tmfc274

tmfc274 super comp

hi bernie
    tad,s field was small ,yes.
    any idea why the maltese guy,s stayed away?
    was it just the money or the traveling.
    tmfc field was still healthy.
    cliff
    tmfc 2595

[ June 15, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: cliff ]

12. d johnson

d johnson Top Alcohol

Hi Cliff
    The Maltese aren't going to show at all I reckon.
    The Mr Whippy team bought the other ice cream car from David Wells '' Blue Bunny'' but apparently all is not OK between Carabot the car owner and Bugeja the driver and they aren't even running in Malta. Elbros bought a whole new Fontana & PSI set up but but say they can't afford the tour. They state that they are staying in Malta.
    We ran against them last weekend. the 5.81 from the little chevy seemed to piss them off a bit. Wilson and Schofers 5.4s at Santa Pod are going to keep the others away too. who can afford to compete with them ? We reckon we can get a 5.6 out of the Chevy but that won't win a FIA round but it will in Malta.

13. tmfc274

tmfc274 super comp

i see your point,
    but we are not the quickest buy far ,as you know but we still have ago.
    but also we are only 100 miles from the track.
    would be good too race you guys in a british
    round.
    sorry,over here the rails run against the funny,s in the british rounds.
    makes it interesting.
    happy hunting
    cliff
    tmfc 2595

[ June 16, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: cliff ]

14. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

King,

You have a good point.

WE use to have some,
    Remember:
    Ace Manzo
    The Boston Strangler
    The American Flyer
    The Poverty Stricken

More?

15. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Sorry for the triple posts guys! My computer was acting funny that night. You guys remember Wayne Stoekel's "Boggieman" or Harley Griffiths' "Evil, Wicked, Mean and Nasty" Those guy used to rake in bucks from T-shirt sales. Stoekel even sold Hats and Aprons. At some divisional races, he would seel out! Don't tell me that a good car name witha Good looking Racing shirt doesn't sell!

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i'd like to address mike eubank -

i think it is a bit of a stretch to say pro mods are more popular than the alcohol cars. popular, yes, more, no. yeah if you believe the hype you hear and see on some websites you would think pro mod (what i like to call pro super gas :D ) was the most popular drag racing class on the planet. if that was true they would be headlining the powerade series and not be an exibition class. the same fans that leave the stands when the alky cars run leave when pro mods run, and probably a little more. also the alky classes out ranked pro super gas on the nhra.com fan popularity poll last year.

in reference to putting on a show, you put two drag strips in the same town, one puts on a outlaw pro mod race and the other puts on an 8 car alky show, i'm going to put my money on the alky show. the alky show will draw more fans, and the track owner stands to make more money. now granted, its going to carry a higher price tag, and you can probably do it once a year, but you can make one hell of an event the time you do it. fans like loud fast cars. the alky cars are louder, faster, and generally speaking will be more consistent than the pro mods. granted some people are die hard door car fans, but most drag fans like loud and fast, any way it comes.

the key to making an alcohol event work is having quality cars that can go fast. i can see where a track promoter/owner would have a problem booking in a budget alky car that can barely run faster (or maybe not) than some of the fast outlaw p/m's. why pay more money and get less show. thats what we are trying to get around with my 8 car tad show i've been pushing. we can bring 8 big name tads in for a show. cars that will run 3.60's or better in the 1/8 mile. names that people will recognize with a format that is based off heads up eliminations. we bring a higher price tag ($14k) but we bring a premium product.

mike, also keep in mind i think the track you are talking about is texas raceway. from what i hear that track has a packed house every friday night with little or no promotion.

so in closing, tell that track owner why alky cars? faster, louder, big names and will make him more money. if you want some help on what you are trying to put together, u know my number, give me a ring.

also, i heard you were down at sealy this past weekend. what did you think? if you aren't doing anything on the 5th, come down for the match race between callaway & brounkowski and kinsley & simpson. its going to be one hell of a party afterward...

17. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

One other point Will is Pro mods have the "Pro" distinction. The alky cars in NHRA don't! Look at the difference in Purse? If the alky classes got $10,000 to win and $2,000 first round loser. The car counts would be up dramatically! But then again, PM's are more expensive to build.

18. MIke Eubank

MIke Eubank Super Comp

Hey Will,
    First of all, I didn't compare the popularity of Pro Mods to the Alky cars. I believe you started the thread asking people,if they(Pro Mods) were a threat to the alky classes. So it seems to me, you are the one comparing their popularity.

Secondly, as for comparing an Alky show to a Pro Mod show that happens on a pretty regular basis, i.e. division races. We run TAD's, A/FD's, and TAF's and we can't put butts in the seats. I believe there is a thread concerning this topic on your board as well.

And lastly, thanks for offering your assistance on putting together a show, however I have it handled.

P.S. See ya in Sealy.

P.S.S. Tell Tim I said "Hi".

Mike Eubank ;)

19. MIke Eubank

MIke Eubank Super Comp

I got to thinking more on this, and I would like to go back to what I said in my first reply on this thread. I think there is room for both, and that the biggest threat is the low car counts.

Now as for booked in shows, Louder and faster should be better, right? I saw two T/F cars run to basically an empty house. These were not "leakers", these guys collectivly had won the past four World Championships. The two passes they made on Sunday were to almost empty stands. It was a great show that hardly anyone saw. If my memory is correct, Tony Ran 3.26 @over 250, Gary ran 3.30. Thats quick, fast and loud! Where was the croud? :(

I don,t think that it should be an either/or question, All are bad to the bone and a hell of alot of fun.

Just my .02
    Mike Eubank

20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

this is what i was responding to mike.