Pr - Marty Thacker - Wrap-up - Torco Racing Fuels Nationals

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by RiverQueen, Oct 21, 2006.

1. RiverQueen

RiverQueen Moderator

Runner-up Finish for Strong Running Thacker at TORCO Nationals

The Rapid Transit Race Team made the trek from Robinson, Illinois back to Dinwiddie, Virginia last weekend to attend the postponed TORCO Racing Fuels NHRA National event. And lets just say, the trip was worth it. Thacker, with the help of his Dad (his only true crew member for the weekend), recorded his best times of the year and made it to the final round before losing when the car lost 2 cylinders at the hit of the throttle.

"What a race. After the postponement due to the bad weather, I had 3 crewmen lined up to come back to TORCO Racing Fuels Nationals with me. Then, hours before we were to leave, 2 of them got news that kept them from going. I called some other racing friends, but was unable to find anyone that could leave on such short notice, so Dad and I headed east alone. We made the 13 hour trip overnight and the two of us arrived at the track to start getting everything set up. During the drive I phoned a couple of our fellow Knoll Gas - TORCO Racing Fuels teammates to let them know I was critically low on crew, and they told me not to worry. We struggled a little on Friday and made the decision to change the ignition that night and WOW! The Knoll Gas - TORCO Racing Fuels / Atlantic Industrial sponsored dragster rewarded us for our hard work and undying faith. The Hoosier tires hooked so hard I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. After working half the night in the cold weather, she kept running strong on Sunday. We were so close to winning the inaugural TORCO Racing Fuels NHRA National event. But, you are not going to win one of these races on 6 cylinders."

Thacker qualified 3rd for the event with a 5.26 at 270 MPH, the quickest and fastest of any of the blown cars. In the first round he took out his opponent with a 5.28 second blast at 269 MPH. Second round, Thacker left on his opponent and never looked back as he ran another great pass, 5.28 at 270 MPH. In the semi-finals, Thacker got the hole shot win against the 2006 World Champion when he ran another outstanding pass of 5.27 at 268 MPH. Unfortunately, in the finals, he lost 2 cylinders at the hit of the throttle and was unable complete the storybook weekend.

"I really need to thank Evan Knoll and the whole TORCO family for not only being a part of our race team, but for supporting drag racing in every way. And my TORCO teammates Mick Snyder and Dave Hedges who shared their crew with me this weekend. I can't forget my dad who originally went to the drag races to try and talk me out of such dangerous foolishness. That was 19 years ago, and he has been helping me race ever since."

The final event for the Team will be at Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, Georgia the weekend of October 20th thru the 22nd.

Quick Facts

• The Team has been to three final rounds this year earning one win at the prestigious Jeg’s All-Star event earlier this year in Joliet, Illinois.
    • This weekend marks the 6th straight race weekend for the Rapid Transit Race Team.
    • The defending Division 3 Champions currently sit in the #3 spot in the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series points standings and 14th place nationally.
    • The Team, based out of Robinson, Illinois, has won 5 UDRA National Championships and 2 NHRA Divisional championships.
    • Four of the Rapid Transit Race Team crew members race in the NHRA Super Comp class.
    Please visit the official team website www.rapidtransitracing.com.

You can access the full line of innovative products offered by our major sponsor TORCO Racing Fuels including racing gasoline, additives, and Skull Gear at www.torcoracefuels.com.

Visit the websites of our current associate and product sponsors at the following websites:

Atlantic Industrial – www.atscaf.com

Valvoline - www.valvoline.com/pages/racing

Hoosier Racing Tire – www.hoosiertire.com

Fatheadz – www.fatheadz.com

Submitted by: Shanna Snyder-Bell

Contact Person: Marty Thacker
    Contact email address: mlthacker@mapllc.com