power grid modules

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by pat Iley, Jul 13, 2019.

1. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

just installing new ignition system pro mag 20 and powergrid 7730, cannot seem to get lights on add on modules and will not show up in msd view. checked wiring on modules going to can bus all appear ok the terminating cap is on but no mdules are showing as being installed. any suggestions on what is missing

2. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Do you have the ignition switch on while you have your laptop plugged into the grid? I know on some cars that I have worked on in the past if you plug into the grid via the usb cable it can be seen always. To see the associated modules you have to flip the ignition on. They show up in the first screen when you open the msd view software. , You have to look at them individually by checking the box to the left. Those modules also save to their own separate file. Example:

So we have a car we play with and we do some no prep racing with it. I have a timing curve that I load when we run no prep. I also have to go into the 7760 and load the no prep file for it also as it controls such things as the converter dump, enrichment timer, etc. If I was also running a 7761 in conjunction with the 7760, I would also have to go in and load my no prep curve for that. I think that’s one of the downsides to the MSD grid system is that you can’t load one file to take care of all your systems that are plugged into the canbus, you have to make sure you have the correct one of your files loaded for each module. I think it opens up the door for user error.

3. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

i did have power on for grid however in the first screen only shows the grid box not the 3 modules i have plugged into canbus, and the led powerlight on each module has not lit up showing power

4. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

The light will only illuminate if you are talking to box via the laptop through the msd view software. You need to have the ignition switch on so that the modules are switched on. The laptop plugged into the usb cable. Open the msd view software and you should be able to see the 7730 and below it any other modules that are plugged into the canbus. Like I said above if the power was on to the grid I can see just the grid, the ignition switch had to be on in addition to that to be able to view the additional modules connected to the can bus.

5. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

the ignition switch is powered up , i checked all the plug in s into canbus they are all wired the same termination cap is on but still no power to the modules and no sign of them in laptop once connected to powergrid . all wires are connected from powergrid to sources 12 volt at power wire and good ground for the powergrid. could the canbus be faulty

6. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Kosky was looking for a can bus adapter for the grid at Norwalk national, we run the command module in the alcohol car so we don’t have any of those parts in the trailer. I didn’t ask what happened or how he knew it was bad, maybe he’ll chime in here? Is the termination cap last in line like the instructions say? Sounds like you need to call msd during regular hours and do some troubleshooting.

7. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

problem solved after being on the phone with 2 different msd techs we just checked everything like what was said on this post and no luck, however i double checked the wiring diagram that is provided for the pro mag set up and there is a 4 pin plug that provides power and ground and goes to the msd point box and in that set there is a red wire that they say is not used when wiring to pro mags but in a standard setup it gets connected to a switched 12 volt at the ignition box so i decided to try hooking that wire in with the orange power wire and wow now it works just fine . i will be phoning msd and let them know. nothing more flustering than trying to solve a mystery when you follow the instructions provided with the product and its brand new.

8. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Thanks for the update and gals you got it worked out!

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I think you got your red wires mixed up on which one doesn't get used with a Pro Mag.

The red wire in the 4 pin DT connector is an output to the 7720 box if used. The red wire in the main grid harness is the 12v switched.

The red wire should be your on/off switch. The orange wire should go direct to the battery or master cutoff if you use that. It should not be switched.

At any rate, glad you got it figured out.

10. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

that is how i got it wired the way you described Will and that red wire that goes to the 7720 box is the one i have to put 12 volts too get modules to power up as i tested for power at canbus with it not getting 12 volts and had no power anywhere with connector from grid or at canbus input plugs for the modules

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Very interesting. Sounds like maybe you got a harness that was either pinned wrong or they grabbed the wrong red wire to put in the 4 pin DT.

Looking at the main grid harness from the back going into the grid, is the red wire going into the 4 pin the bottom left or on the top row, 3rd from left? There are also red wires going into the can bus connection.

I have wired quite a few grid systems to Pro Mags, several with add-on modules through the can bus extension. I have never used that red wire in the DT connector.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. pat Iley

pat Iley Member

i will check that out later this week and report back