Piston recommendations for Blown Alky BB Chev

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Wildcatracing, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

Hi guys, I am trying to find a cost effective piston supplier for my drag car. Its only going to put out say 2,000 BHP (MAX), its a Merlin iron block with Dart 360 heads, 11:1 with alloy rods. I have used JE's with good success but am wondering if there are any better (ie: cheaper)options. Thanks

2. vega funny

vega funny New Member

pistons

i have the same combo as you, i use fowler alum rods and venolia pistons, w/12-71 std helix blower, no problems

3. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

The guys at venolia make me great deals. Way less than the JE stuff.
    They are more durable and harder to hurt than the JE's, but they do require more piston to wall clearance, and want to be headed up to temp prior to running like a striped ape.
    Plus they will do any custom stuff that I want and still get them to me in just over a week - 2 weeks.

4. Iron Mike

Iron Mike New Member

I've got coated CPs in same combo

5. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Use big (HEMI) wristpins, .990 not heavy enough.

7. Policy Peddler

Arias

I have tried a lot of manufacturers, Arias are the only ones I have not had an issue with. They will give you a discount if you tell them they are for blown alcohol, they are substantially cheaper than Vanolia and the others. Get the Hemi wrist pin, straight wall. I have a set in a spare motor that ends up getting run almost every year, I got that set used in 1995!!!!!!!!!!! They probably have 300 passes on them!

8. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

thanks very much for the recommendations guys, I have plenty to work with. Happy racing

9. Peacemaker AFC

Peacemaker AFC New Member

pistons

I just got a brand new set of .310 pistons from Arias along with their new .250 wall pins straight wall. Since I have hurt JE pistons and Ross pistons way more often that is why I have used Arias for the last ten years or so. Very reasonable if you tell them its for a blown application and talk to Mike out there.

10. HensonRacing

HensonRacing Member

Pat no longer works at ross, good guy and I wish him luck in his new adventures.