Piston question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by T-Wrecks, Dec 6, 2020.

1. T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks Member

So I pretty much gave up on my DRCE-1 and someone is coming to buy this stuff this week. So what I am thinking is where to go from here.... I am keeping my non DRCE specific engine parts so that leaves me with 2 crankshafts. An Arias crank new in box 4.250 stroke that is a Velasco. Obviously this has Hemi throws and old style 8 bolt flange. And I also have a 4.500 a standard flange Lunati. Obviously the Velasco is the better choice. So if I buy a new 10.2 deck BBC and use the Velasco crank with a 6.800 Hemi Rod. that should work out to a 1.245 pin height. I would need to take .010 off the deck. But the question really is... For a blown 540, What is the shortest pin height on a blown alcohol BBC? I have a Lenco CS1, clutch, bell, shifter ect that works with the 8 bolt flange. so Id definitely prefer the shorter stroke crank because I wont be buying a transmission, clutch ect.

2. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

1.27 is as low as you can go with the hemi small end pin and still get the minimum .300” crown thickness. Things can get a little tricky with compression height that short and the valve relief on the underside of the piston. The small end of the rod and the relief try to occupy the same space. CP just did a custom set for me, they were supposed to be a big Chevy deal but in the middle of the process, we changed directions to the DRCE deal. That being said, If your DRCE deal falls through, please message me.